Custom IEM that matches the IE8 sound sig?
Jul 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kobayashi

500+ Head-Fier
Like the title says, I'm going to get a set of customs but am not sure which to go with. I like the sound of the IE8s with the bass knob set to the lowest setting. I get great, punchy bass that allows me to keep the volume lower without losing impact. I also really like that you can wear the IE8s with the cord up or down.

The only customs that I've found with cords that rotate are the Fidelity Duals and Triples and the Sleek customs. I've seen only one review comparing the two and it said that the Fidelity Duals (Livewires) had better bass than the Sleeks which had the bass + and treble + tubes.

I don't want custom shells or custom tips for my IE8s (too bulky). I'm heavily leaning towards the Fidelities right now. If the Future Sonics had a cable that could be worn in both positions, that would probably be my #1 choice.

Any opinions or recommendations? Will I be disappointed with the sound from any balanced armature customs if I prefer the sound of dynamic driver universals?

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 18
I use the Atrio and just got the LiveWire trips. The bass is definitely different but to me I don't mind either, I enjoy both my Atrio bass and my LiveWire trips bass. The Atrio bass is just delightful and natural, while the LW3 bass is a lot faster and really ups my enjoyment when listening to genres like electronic (like The Prodigy?).

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Atrio and just got the LiveWire trips. The bass is definitely different but to me I don't mind either, I enjoy both my Atrio bass and my LiveWire trips bass. The Atrio bass is just delightful and natural, while the LW3 bass is a lot faster and really ups my enjoyment when listening to genres like electronic (like The Prodigy?).

Do the Triples have less punch than the Atrios then? The Atrios have less than the IE8s, IMO.

Too bad the UE11s don't have the cables that I'm looking for.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 18
Uh what do you mean by punch per se? Volume/quantity of bass? Punchiness like how tight/fast the bass is?

I think the punch is a different kind of punch, the Triples having less oomph and rumble than the Atrio. But in terms of volume/quantity of bass they're rather similar in my opinion. Except the Triples have a hell lot more highs so you tend not to listen as "loud" as you would on an Atrio in terms of if you listened at the same "average volume" level the bass on the Atrio would be louder, but the Triples can easily reach that kind of quantity of bass too, just that you'll perceive the whole sound to be slightly louder/with much more present highs.

It's like if you took away some of the highs of the Triples, they'll kinda sound quite a bit like my Atrio in terms of amount of bass/mids

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the Triples have less punch than the Atrios then? The Atrios have less than the IE8s, IMO.

Too bad the UE11s don't have the cables that I'm looking for.

dude you keep mentioning cables......what ARE you looking for? I don't get it unless you are looking for a non-replaceable cable I can't understand what is wrong with the cables....

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also really like that you can wear the IE8s with the cord up or down.

The only customs that I've found with cords that rotate are the Fidelity Duals and Triples and the Sleek customs.

He's looking for uhm, rotatable cables?

Oh and if it wasn't clear, my LiveWire trips are the Earpeace ones not the Fidelity ones.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude you keep mentioning cables......what ARE you looking for? I don't get it unless you are looking for a non-replaceable cable I can't understand what is wrong with the cables....

Very clearly explained in post #1

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny, with perfectly fitting sleek ct6, i find the bass immense. it is not as energetic in upper bass, but low bass absolutely trumps the ie8. that said, their signatures are different - very different.

Sounds like the CT6 can't match the bass impact/volume of the IE8. For me, the IE8 trumps the Atrios in terms of bass impact. The Atrios stretch a bit deeper but don't have the same "fun factor" of the IE8. The CT6 would need to have much more impact than the Atrios for me to order them.

Too bad the Fidelity people are such flakes. Multiple emails to the TN office and none responded to. Are they taking lessons from the CA office now?

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know, futuresonics makes the EARS which is the worlds first custom phone. it is based on a dynamic driver and if the inside chamber is constructed similarly, it may sound similar to the ie8

Already covered earlier in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back