Custom IEM Remold
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EC09

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about purchasing my first customs but they are all quite expensive. I'm thinking about buying a pair off the for sale forum  here which would be much cheaper. I'm just concerned with this whole remoulding process I would need to go through. First of all, would this affect the original sound quality and sound signature? Roughly how much is this process not including getting impressions? And lastly, has there been problems in the past from remoulding used customs and is this a good way to go about getting customs? 

Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Price varies depending on who. It can be as cheap as around 100 or up to around 200.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 7
There is a difference in terms of looks with different companies. A company like Unique Melody does it very well while someone like Fisher Hearing does not do it as nicely. A company like 1964 Ears is somewhere in between but closer to  UM than Fisher.

As for sound difference it is hard to tell since few have heard the original and then the reshell.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 7
As long as the drivers, filters, and tubes have not been modified you will get the same sound. Which customs are you thinking of buying?

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't decided on which customs yet, but my total budget is around $550-600. There seems to be limited selection in this price range, but I've looked at the JH5, 1964 T/Q, Kozee Infinity X3 and the DRM-5X Average_Joe reviewed recently.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I have done it... I will certainly not do it again. They sent me back to get ears impression twice. They remolded my TF10 about 6 or 7 times. Even after that, the fit was just "ok" and the sound was not equal on each side but I gave up sending them back again. The bass sounded much better before.

They also broke my Luna silver cable when they plugged it in and they sent it to me like that. The plastic started cracking around the connectors after just a few weeks. Now, I year latter, there is corrosion in the connector on one side, I have no bass anymore on the other side...

They are just on the edge of my garbage bin.

I loved the TF10 as they were... I shouldn't have taken that risk.

I am now looking to buy another set of TF10 that will remain a TF10 this time.

I thought that at around 100$ this was cool... At the end it has cost me over 400$ (with the 200$ TF10 and many shipping) and I have nothing left.

Don't lose you money on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back