Custom IEM recommendations
Nov 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dohdough

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking for a while and after doing some research, I think that customs are the way for me to go but I have some questions.

What's the turnaround time between the molds and arrival? How are repairs handled and are there any fees? Are there different durability issues between color choices or manufacturers? Any other comments are also greatly appreciated.

As to what I listen to, it's an ecclectic mix of everything. Classical, rock, rap, hip-hop, progressive house, disco, you name it. So I think I need a jack of all trades, but I'm not looking for something analytical, just something very fun and very enjoyable with clear highs and accurate bass without drowning out any midrange. I'm currently on Shure E2c's so I know practically anything will be better. These will go unamped as portability is key and sourced out of a 1st gen ipod nano for now. Thanks head-fi!

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 24
I went with Westone (got the ES2) and turn-around time was about a week and a half after they received my molds. I haven't had to do any repairs yet (knock on wood) so I can't comment on repair fees, however, from my experience and that of others, Westone has superb customer service, and I wouldn't have to worry too much about repairs should you go with one of their IEMs. The same, from what I've heard, applies to other custom IEM manufacturers, and IEM manufacturers in general.

Sound-signature-wise, it does seem like you might be better off with the ES2 than with something a bit more analytical like the UE10 Pro, but quite frankly, a) anything you choose is probably going to be more than good enough and b) the IEM is only one component of the system. Synergy with associated components will determine nearly as much as the IEM itself.

There are few people on here that have experience with different customs. Send Digihead a PM, I think he's basically the only one who has a lot of experience with all of the major custom IEMs.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 24
Turn around time varies in relation to how busy the manufacturer is at the time. Times like Christmas and when bands are about to go on tour (start of spring and summer, etc) can cause times to vary. Typically two weeks is a pretty safe bet.

Never had to do any repairs myself. Typically if it is within the warranty period then issues that you didn't cause should be covered. You'd just pay the shipping to and perhaps return shipping. If it is outside of warranty, then it varies. The most common experience in this regard is likely some users that had an issue with the Sensaphonics drivers shorting out. Out of warranty I believe it was $300, although I'm not sure if that was for one ear piece or two. I do know that in the case of Sensaphonics, they basically end up making you a new earpiece in order to fix it.

No durabilty issues caused by colors. Most durability issues I have seen is with Sensaphonics. This can likely be attributed to the super soft silicone they use not being as durable a casing for the drivers. I am sure there are members that have had an issue or two here and there with other manufacturers. Thankfully (knock on wood) haven't had these type of issues.

Going custom can be a REAL hassle if you don't get a good set of molds made. It is worth the hassle once you get a good fitting pair. I'd definitely use a recommended audiologist.

Other advice - you're saying you're going custom and going straight out of the 1st gen Nano? The ES2s are crazy sensitive, so you might pick up a bit of hiss. With something like the Hornet amp via line out I've not had this same issue. The UE10s are killer, although they can lean toward the analytical side. Sensaphonics has apparently changed their drivers and sonic signature, so you might want to read up on that.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohdough
I've been lurking for a while and after doing some research, I think that customs are the way for me to go but I have some questions.

What's the turnaround time between the molds and arrival? How are repairs handled and are there any fees? Are there different durability issues between color choices or manufacturers? Any other comments are also greatly appreciated.

As to what I listen to, it's an ecclectic mix of everything. Classical, rock, rap, hip-hop, progressive house, disco, you name it. So I think I need a jack of all trades, but I'm not looking for something analytical, just something very fun and very enjoyable with clear highs and accurate bass without drowning out any midrange. I'm currently on Shure E2c's so I know practically anything will be better. These will go unamped as portability is key and sourced out of a 1st gen ipod nano for now. Thanks head-fi!

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 24
Well first thing I would consider is if you like a lot of base. It would be a hard decision between the es2 and the ue-5c. I do not have my es2 as of yet but from what I hear the ue-5c has a bit more base. I love how my ue-5c sound unamped out of my creative vision:m. Truthfully i am not sure i would be happy with a phone that has less base than my ue-5c but I will see. Some of the guys that have both might be able to comment but I am not sure who all has both.

As for my waiting time it was about 5 days not including weekend from the time they got my molds to the time I recieved them from UE. I am not sure about westone as it is my fault I have not recieved them as of yet.

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 24
The UE5c are indeed a good option IF you plan to use them straight out of your iPod. I have been listening to mine this way recently and have found a new appreciation for them. If you're planning on adding an amp, etc at some point then I feel the other IEMs probably scale better.

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 24
I think I was one of the first to get my Sensaphonics 2X-S remade, and yes, they basically made me a brand new pair of IEMs for $300, which is a pretty good deal IMO... You can only do this within 3 years of your original purchase date however, so after 3 years you won't be able to get them repaired, you would have to order a brand new pair at full price... I guess that is a fair policy...

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE5c are indeed a good option IF you plan to use them straight out of your iPod. I have been listening to mine this way recently and have found a new appreciation for them. If you're planning on adding an amp, etc at some point then I feel the other IEMs probably scale better.

that answered a question i asked on an other thread. and digihead, do you like jazz? do you like the ue5c with jazz? thanks

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 24
hey digihead, i think you should write a big review and comparison of all the customs (UE-10, UE-5c, ES-2, Sensa 2x-s, etc...). i've been reading up on custom IEM's and went with the UE-10 myself. but just reading so many of your comments, i thought it'll be better if you have one review and refer everybody there instead.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey digihead, i think you should write a big review and comparison of all the customs (UE-10, UE-5c, ES-2, Sensa 2x-s, etc...). i've been reading up on custom IEM's and went with the UE-10 myself. but just reading so many of your comments, i thought it'll be better if you have one review and refer everybody there instead.

I think that's a great, albeit time consuming, idea. There's no definitive comparison of the various lines and it would be an invaluable resource to those of us that want to take that final step and get customs.

I decided to go with customs just because they provide ultimate sound, fit, and isolation that universals just can't provide. But boy, I wish they were a bit cheaper. $900 on some things that shoot sound into your ears is a lot of coin.

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE-10 for your tastes in music.

Sureeeeee..... well we would ALL pick the UE-10 if we could have them for free, too, Mr. Monkey!!
tongue.gif

I'd ask to demo yours but that's pretty impossible with customs.
Which brings me to a question... how does UE demo their customs to people at their factory? They wouldn't fit their ears perfectly without the mold so how does that actually work?

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sureeeeee..... well we would ALL pick the UE-10 if we could have them for free, too, Mr. Monkey!!
tongue.gif

True, easy enough for me to say; but my point stands: for the OP, the UE-10 makes sense.

Quote:

I'd ask to demo yours but that's pretty impossible with customs.
Which brings me to a question... how does UE demo their customs to people at their factory? They wouldn't fit their ears perfectly without the mold so how does that actually work?

At the National Meet, UE brought the UE-10's with foam tips so that you could at least get a sense of how the drivers sound.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have definitely considered it. I think I could probably put something together just on the PM replies and replies in various threads I've done over time. A full blown review/comparison likely requires more time than I have at this juncture.

Really when it comes down to it, all the custom IEMs are pretty killer. It is hard to say which one is 'best' for a given person as each person's tastes and hearing vary greatly. I've also found the sound of various custom IEMs can vary greatly depending on the individual fit, etc.

Also, the last thing I'd want to do is start the age old flame war of UE vs. Sensa or whatever. Those threads were in full force when I first joined head-fi and got very heated and very silly after a time. I believe they caused at least one long time member to leave the forums as well. Not exactly what I'm looking to get started all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back