custom IEM reccomendations
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

radji

New Head-Fier
Just lost my cIEMs tonight...:persevere:

Blessing in disguise as they haven't worked right since I had them converted from universal to custom (were a pair of reshelled Westone W40s).

So now I am on the hunt for new cIEMs. They are only for personal listening. I do use them when I exercise so I am not sure about durability, hence my ask for recommendations. Looking to spend around $500-700. I'd prefer BA, 3 or 4 driver since I primarily listen to symphonic rock and power metal, so the bass will sound punchy. Wired IEMs only, I will get another Earstudio ES100 for wireless usage.

Thank you in advance.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 10
What IEM's have you tried before? What did you like and what did you not like? You mention you like bass, but what about mids and trebles?

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 10
For power metal, definitely need treble. Not as much for mids.

The only IEMS I've ever had are my Westone W40s. I had them reshelled into customs last year.

I tried a pair of Shure 215's, Jaybird X2's, and other budget earbuds. I don't consider any of those to be true IEMS.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 10
In that price range you may want to check out Custom Art and Alclair. If you like metal/rock of any kind - I wouldn't play down the importance of the mids. Just my opinion.

I own 2 Custom Art CIEMs and can't rec them enough. If you're looking for a very impactful punchy bass without neglecting the mids and treble, Fibae4 may be your ticket. Fibae Black is also in your price range, but I'm not sure you'll be happy with the treble quantity there as it's quite polite.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 10
For power metal, definitely need treble. Not as much for mids.

The only IEMS I've ever had are my Westone W40s. I had them reshelled into customs last year.

I tried a pair of Shure 215's, Jaybird X2's, and other budget earbuds. I don't consider any of those to be true IEMS.

Sorry, I don't get notifications if you don't quote me so I wasn't aware you answered. I don't listen to metal much, but it sounds like you're looking for a U/V-shaped IEM. Some IEMs that fit your budget are:
  • Fearless S8 Pro (I heard the S8 Freedom was similar but I haven't tried those before)
  • Empire Ears Bravado
Those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm much more familiar with universal than custom IEMs, so you may want to consider some universals.

Another thing you can do is look at Crinacle's list (https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/) and sort by sound signatures. You can also look at the graphs to see what suits your freq. flavors. I wouldn't take his rankings as law, but they are helpful references. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm currently using the Fearless S8 freedom and it's the best IEM I've had. My road was similar to yours. Started with Shure 215 LTD then upgraded to the westone 4r. Westone has a signiture sound stage that provided good detail but in my opinion can be boring at time. The fearless has the most detail I've ever heard for an iem and does not lack on the low end. I have them in universal but for around $60 more you can get customs made.

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm currently using the Fearless S8 freedom and it's the best IEM I've had. My road was similar to yours. Started with Shure 215 LTD then upgraded to the westone 4r. Westone has a signiture sound stage that provided good detail but in my opinion can be boring at time. The fearless has the most detail I've ever heard for an iem and does not lack on the low end. I have them in universal but for around $60 more you can get customs made.
Might not be the best idea right now due to the coronavirus? Sticking with the states $700 would get you the bravado from Empire Ears?

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Depends what you're concerns are. If it's shipping delays that's understandable. But you can't catch the virus via package. It comes from droplets so someone would need to be within close proximity of you. Not saying don't lean on the safe side and not risk it but just wanted to share that info as I work in the medical field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back