Custom IEM helps getting better seal with Universal IEM
Oct 29, 2005 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

solvexyz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Any of you felt that once gotten your custom IEM like UE10 Pro also helps you figure out how to get better seal with your universal IEM?

After using UE10 Pro for over a week, I can suddenly manage to get better and more comfortable seals with my Westone UM2 and Shure e4c using tri-flange. I think it is because by looking at UE10 Pro, I figure out how my canals position; therefore, I can slide those universal IEM into my ear canals more accurately. It is really comfortable. I would say it is even more comfortable than UE10 Pro because the tri-flange is soft.

LOL. My main motivation to get custom IEM was because I was struggling with universal IEMs to get comfortable seals. There are moments that I am able to achieve that perfect seals, and there are moments I never figure out how to position them right to get those perfect seals, and through repeated re-adjustment, it will hurt my ears. Now, it is like everytime I can land a perfect seals with universal IEMs.

PS. Ganna give UE a call on Monday. Ask them to see if they can tweek my UE10 Pro fit a bit, and hope it can get more comfortable. I think my left earpiece is giving me seal that is way too tight.

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Hi,

Any of you felt that once gotten your custom IEM like UE10 Pro also helps you figure out how to get better seal with your universal IEM?

After using UE10 Pro for over a week, I can suddenly manage to get better and more comfortable seals with my Westone UM2 and Shure e4c using tri-flange. I think it is because by looking at UE10 Pro, I figure out how my canals position; therefore, I can slide those universal IEM into my ear canals more accurately. It is really comfortable. I would say it is even more comfortable than UE10 Pro because the tri-flange is soft.

LOL. My main motivation to get custom IEM was because I was struggling with universal IEMs to get comfortable seals. There are moments that I am able to achieve that perfect seals, and there are moments I never figure out how to position them right to get those perfect seals, and through repeated re-adjustment, it will hurt my ears. Now, it is like everytime I can land a perfect seals with universal IEMs.

PS. Ganna give UE a call on Monday. Ask them to see if they can tweek my UE10 Pro fit a bit, and hope it can get more comfortable. I think my left earpiece is giving me seal that is way too tight.

I had the same experience when I got my UE10's, they have definitely helped me figure out how to get a great seal with my universals.

That's strange with the fit of your UE10's...did you get your mold with mouth open or closed?

P.S. Congrats on your UE10 purchase!

Oct 29, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
I had the same experience when I got my UE10's, they have definitely helped me figure out how to get a great seal with my universals.

That's strange with the fit of your UE10's...did you get your mold with mouth open or closed?

P.S. Congrats on your UE10 purchase!

Yah I did the open mouth.

Just a question. How does your UE10 create seal? One of my earpiece create the seal in the canal portion, and the other one create the seal at the cavity just before the canal portion. Both isolates sound, but the one create the seal at the cavity is not very comfortable.

The one created at the cavity and the beginning of the canal portion is the kind of seals that I had created with my universal IEM, and it is not that comfortable. I find the seals that created inside the canal much more comfortable.

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey Solvexyz...Curious about something. Did you ever give the UM56 custom tips a shot with your UM2's? Not that you would do that now, of course. You get a much better sound from UM2's with them than any of the regular or even modded tips. I'm sure its nowhere near UE-10 quality, but it was the alternative I chose to try before getting any custom IEM's; maybe in a couple years I'll give it a go. Hope you get everything straightened out.

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi, Pete

I guess I am one of the few people who took Lindrone's review on different sleeves seriously. I find all my sleeves sound signature changes according to what lindrone described, and he stated that the sound of UM56 sleeves is really closer to that of tri-flange, and he found the seals he got with tri-flange is better and more comfortable than the UM56. Therefore, I took the big jump to UE10 Pro.

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 8
I don't blame you at all for taking the big jump. I'd do the same if I could. Believe me, I'm envious. I checked out Lindrone's review of the custom tips also, but that was only one person's experience. Spinali has a differing viewpoint on um2blogspot.com. I decided to find out for myself. As for my experience, I find the UM56's a lot more comfortable than Lindrone did, that's for sure. In fact, when mine are in I barely notice they're even there. I don't think he used them for very long, they do take time to get used to and a lot of practice getting them seated properly. There was only one time that they sounded like tri-flanges, and that was when the audiologist seated them in my ears when I picked them up.I almost had a panic-attack right then and there, but kept cool and once I got home experimented with the tips' positioning on the stem and that was that. I can't compare the sound signature to any of the standard tips, because not one of them even comes close. But I do know you get a much more balanced sound, with the treble being more forward and apparent. Maybe my ears are just better suited for them.

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Oh ok. Thanks for the straighten up on the UM56.

I believe the comfort issue really requires sometime to give a full evaluation. In Lindrone's review he did not state how long he have used the UM56, so he might indeed find it very comfortable after repeated use. Because I did find my UE10 Pro becomes a lot more comfortable to use after a week, even it is custom IEM, but still I have to learn some trick to position them correctly. However, it is a lot easier to get it right than with the universal.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, I think the custom tips w/ UM2 have my IEM situation solved for now,but I can't help but go to the UE and Westone web sites every once in a while and drool over the UE-10, UE-5c, ES-2,and ES-3. They all look fantastic-Sensa's,too...Even if you had gotten UM56's, I'm sure you'd end up still wanting the UE-10's anyway. I know I do, or any custom IEM. It's an inevitable Head-Fi end result.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back