Custom IEM help!
Feb 24, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TekeRugburn

aka. ThePhoenix84, ThePhoenix84md, SUZAKUreturns
I been wanting to get into the custom IEM scene for awhile... don't know much about them...did some research but there is soooo much information to look up.... so I'm asking people with experience.

I read the sticky about the custom iem dealers. Wanting to know what impressions people had about the dealers they went through. so here is some questions I have:

Would it be recommended to have a universal IEM recased/remolded into custom molds? or just buy everything as a whole? (i have trip.fi's that could be remolded) are the drivers they use from universal iems? or ones they made? last....how easy are the DIY ear mold kits? or should I just get them professionally done? is it better to have the 360 degree rotating piece or just have the over-the-ear design?

any advice would be much appreciated!

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 6
JH Audio, JH13 pro's are usually considered the highest range, JH 18 will be out soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TekeRugburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be recommended to have a universal IEM recased/remolded into custom molds? or just buy everything as a whole? (i have trip.fi's that could be remolded) are the drivers they use from universal iems? or ones they made? last....how easy are the DIY ear mold kits? or should I just get them professionally done? is it better to have the 360 degree rotating piece or just have the over-the-ear design?

1) It's really up to you. You'll save money having your triple.fis remolded, but they won't compete with the high end customs like the JH13, UE11, and ES3X (and the upcoming UE18 and JH16). Those will several hundreds more.

2) The high end customs use drivers specially made for the company in most cases, I believe.

3) It's probably a better choice to have them professionally done if you can find one that has reasonable prices. For example, I found two places nearby my home that do both ears for $25. Not much more than a home kit.

4) Not many custom companies use the 360 piece from what I've seen. It's up to you, I prefer my cable over ear.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

how easy are the DIY ear mold kits? or should I just get them professionally done?

I can't comment on how easy the DIY kits are, but I'm also another proponent for having them professionally done (if you can find a reasonable price). I searched "audiologist" and "hearing aid" on google maps and emailed/called all the places reasonably close to me. Most of them quoted me for $50-120, but there were a few that offered to do them in the $20-40 range. This wasn't much more at all than the DIY kits I found online, so I decided to have my peace of mind and trust the experience of an audiologist, rather than possibly screwing up (having a bad mold & having to buy another kit).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I been wanting to get into the custom IEM scene for awhile... don't know much about them...did some research but there is soooo much information to look up.... so I'm asking people with experience.

I read the sticky about the custom iem dealers. Wanting to know what impressions people had about the dealers they went through. so here is some questions I have:

In my searches for iem knowledge I wasn't able to find many differences from company to company other than the price. One thing to remember is that with the bigger companies (UE, Westone, JH audio... etc) you are paying not only for the name, but all of their sponsorships/endorsees who get free iem's as well. There are iem companies out there that use the same drivers & cables as the bigger ones, but charge way less money for the exact same thing. As far as impressions, diy kits are not that difficult to use if you have half a brain, but they really should be administered by an audiologist or someone who has experience doing it not your mom or brother...... Murdock the drummer

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Would it be recommended to have a universal IEM recased/remolded into custom molds? or just buy everything as a whole? (i have trip.fi's that could be remolded) are the drivers they use from universal iems? or ones they made?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question also. Why not just get a second complete pair & use your others for a back up pair or visa versa. It is not a bad thing to have multiple pairs of iem's for just in case. I would be lost if I couldn't use my iem's @ a show for some reason. I mean once your a iem user you'll always be a user......... Murdock the Drummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back