Custom IEM for under a motorcycle helmet
Jun 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gonkulator

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are some IEMs that are designed for helmet use (e.g, Westone CR1) but I assume these are fairly stripped down in terms of sound quality (one driver, etc.) but I want to know if there are some high quality IEMs that will work (especially that you have used). I have some UE10 Pros but they stick out too far to wear under my helmet. Also, there are a lot more makers of IEMs than when I got my UE10 Pros (or I have become AWARE of more). So, I would like recommendations of high quality IEMs that will fit under a full face Motorcycle helmet. I already have my impressions, so I am ready to order.

Thanks for any help! 

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 7
The CR1, if I'm not mistaken are the same as the UM1 (or use the same driver).  A single driver can go a long way if it's tuned properly.  I know Tyll used to use the Etymotic ER6 when riding.  He's recently started suggesting the RE400.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, I occasionally use the ER6 as well, as they are so small, and sound okay as long as I get a good seal. I want to get customs so I can go quick in/out without fiddling. I will look into the UM1 reviews to see if they might work. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Some custom IEM manufacturers offer medium and micro shells, e.g. Cosmic Ears.

Do they sound good (I will search on this, but if you have heard...) ?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Do they sound good (I will search on this, but if you have heard...) ?

I ordered a pair from Cosmic Ears but they've been having problems with cable stock so I haven't gotten them yet. But from what others say, they sound excellent especially for the price. However for a micro shell you're probaby restricted to one or two BA drivers, as more drivers will not fit. Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-crazy-low-prices-including-hybrid-designs/

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I ordered some RE400s as a stopgap. As long as they fit better than the ER6i or E500 than I cope with now, at least that will be an improvement. I am also having some UE10 Pros remolded, but I doubt they will fit under a helmet (they didn't before.) I am also getting some Westone ES5s, but not intended for under the helmet. If they fit, then fine. I may try the CR-1 if all else fails. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back