Custom IEM for sleep?
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

funkle II

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any recommendations for IEM I could use primarily for sleep? I have a narrow ear canal, and most off-the-shelf in-ear options do not fit (Particularly the ones that go into the ear canal). And the ones that do not go into have horrible isolation. My only hope for a good fit might be a custom mold that sits in the wide part of the ear, But ideally something that does not extend out of the year too far that I could wear on my side. I would mainly like to use these as a way to listen to Binaural Beats I try to go to sleep. So good isolation and fit are the primary goal, But the upmost sound quality is not as important. And because these are not for audiophile use, I’m hoping to keep the price down. What is the least I could help to pay for a decent custom set for this application, and does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Interested in this too! For bed use. So i'll follow 8)

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 5
My BeatsX let me sleep comfortably

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 5
If you want cheap customs, rather than looking at audiophile/musician plugs, look at hearing protection vendors. Although their primary sales are through custom hearing protection, some of them offer to put some drivers into it. Quality, of course, isn't great, but it's often enough.

For example, in Australia, you can get custom IEMs for as cheap as $435 AUD including impressions: https://www.noiseguard.com.au/i-am-a/motorcyclist/noiseguard-moto/

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 5
You could always consider a small universal IEM made for small ears like the Westone W10, which have small bodies and thin nozzle. So you can get a deep fit into a small canal, especially with a small aftermarket triple flange tip for the best isolation and retention. I used to sleep with mine all the time and they stayed in. The sound is actually great for a single driver IEM.

In that light, the Westone custom IEM use a heat sensitive tip material that is more comfortable for extended listening than any of my other custom IEM, and they make the custom ES10 for $449. I would highly recommend them.

I have the Westone ES3X, ES5, and ES60 and all have fantastic sound quality and fit. My son's ears are a bit smaller than mine, and his ES70 are quite comfortable for him. The Westone universal fit IEM are the only non-custom that fit his ears, other than the Aurisonics Rocket. He has tried 5-6 other brands of universal and none of them fit his ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back