Custom IEM fitment...
Feb 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KevinHileman

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of brand x IEM's last May.  I have had like 8-9 refits on the right ear and 4 refits on the left ear and I'm still not happy.  This is my first pair so I'm not sure what the expectations I should have are.  What I can tell you is they have never fit tightly like I would imagine they should, especially the right one.  They seem to rock back and forth in my ear with ease when I touch them and I can take them out and put them in by inserting horizontally straight into my ear...no turning down and rotating upwards or any of that like it should.  Just go straight in and straight out.  My friend was also fitted originally on the same day and has had zero problems...however his are very snug as it takes effort to insert and remove like recommended.  I'm having trouble hearing pitch (vocal) with them in as everything seems to feel a little flat.  This morning during worship...I inserted them for the end of the service and pushed against them rather firmly and all of a sudden they seemed to vacuum suction to my hear like never before and for about half a song the sound was much brighter and fuller and things sounded a lot more "right"...however, the seal did kind of break in the middle and the sound was back to like always.  When I got home, I put them back in and try to recreate that seal.  The only way to come close was to push in rather firmly right where it goes into the canal and it seemed to seal better...but wouldn't remain that way.  I'm thinking they should be tight enough in my ear that they naturally sit that way but I'm not sure.  Does any of this make sense or does anyone with more experience with custom IEM's have any recommendation's or advice?  The IEM company has been more than gracious throughout all of this so it's not a customer service problem or anything like that.  I just can't seem to get comfortable with something I spent a lot of money on and I want them right.  Anything helpful is appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd recommend you not putting anything in your ears for two weeks, and then go to an audiolodist to clean up your ears, then find someone who has experience in doing ear impressions, and follow the correct procedures to take the mold. It doesn't sound like there is a problem with the iem company as your friend gets a good fit, it's usually the impression that doesn't get done properly causing problems. But man that's a lot trial and errors, I am getting a refit as well pretty soon.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 16
Could you post a picture of your customs, so we can see how they look like (I mean the shape) ?

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 16
It sounds like an impressions issue since refits (8-9?) haven't fixed the issues. Can you go back to your audiologist or find a new one and work out a reshell with the IEM company?

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 16
They have taken impressions I think 4 times, maybe 5.  But it seems like they always come back about the same...just not snug like I would think they would be.  Again though, being my first pair I'm not sure what the expectations should be.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Don't know what to tell you. My customs (I have two) fit pretty snugly and I have to rock them forward to get them out. Maybe it's a variation in ear shape. Does the impression go past the first curve?

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 16
Any info you can give us on the procedure you're audiologist is using? Like if they are using a bite block, what size it is (if so). Are the impressions coming out of your ear easily or are the deforming, tugging or stretching them when they are removed? 

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 16
Yes. The impressions go past the first bend. Using a note block roughly 1.5" I'm guessing? The impressions are very snug coming out...can't say whether they are being deformed or anything when removed. The earpieces are nowhere near as snug as the impressions are when they aroe done.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 16
Sounds like a tough one to figure out. When I had my impressions done I had a similar issue with one ear. The audiologist waited a little less time that I expected and struggled with the mold that was problematic. The craftsman making the mold fixed it after I sent the set back, most likely by moulding it slightly larger to get a good seal. 

Honestly, I'd get a new set of impressions from a different audiologist to try to knock that possibility out. I know they aren't cheap, but it's probably the least expensive and most crucial part of the process. 

Best of luck.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 16
OP: Just wondering, how old are you?
During the impressions I'm sure you don't move at all, blink, wink, smile, etc., yes?
Also, are your ears clean?

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 16
26. I can post a picture this evening in my ear. No movement during impressions and Audiologist commented my ears were overly clean and to stop cleaning them with Q-tips as I was over doing it.

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 16
http://ue-support.logitech.com/support/fit-tool/main.html

Don't know if that's any use to you.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back