Custom IEM (cable) for iPhone w/mic & volume control
Jan 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 19
Somewhat related, I'm trying to make my own cable but a little differently. I'm going to post the technical stuff in the DIY forum.

I have an Android phone, and while in the car, I'm going to use an FM transmitter to send the audio over the car FM stereo. My phone came with some earbuds that have a single button and microphone built into the cord. I'm trying to replicate this, but with just 3.5mm jacks at both ends of the cable instead of the earbuds on one end. I suppose I could buy a set of earbuds with the switch built into it and cut the speakers off and put a 3-connector plug onto it, but found this website that shows how to make a cable that will do the same thing.

Since my current earbuds have just the single button (which I can press once to start/stop, twice to forward, thrice to go back a track, hold to increase volume, and click and hold to reduce volume)...I thought I'd just have to eliminate the extra forward/reverse switch seen at the above website and simply put a momentary switch inline to get the functions working. It does work, but there's a very loud click when pressing the button.

Is there a way to eliminate that click?  The earbuds that came with my phone do not make that click.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:
Somewhat related, I'm trying to make my own cable but a little differently. I'm going to post the technical stuff in the DIY forum.

I have an Android phone, and while in the car, I'm going to use an FM transmitter to send the audio over the car FM stereo. My phone came with some earbuds that have a single button and microphone built into the cord. I'm trying to replicate this, but with just 3.5mm jacks at both ends of the cable instead of the earbuds on one end. I suppose I could buy a set of earbuds with the switch built into it and cut the speakers off and put a 3-connector plug onto it, but found this website that shows how to make a cable that will do the same thing.

Since my current earbuds have just the single button (which I can press once to start/stop, twice to forward, thrice to go back a track, hold to increase volume, and click and hold to reduce volume)...I thought I'd just have to eliminate the extra forward/reverse switch seen at the above website and simply put a momentary switch inline to get the functions working. It does work, but there's a very loud click when pressing the button.

Is there a way to eliminate that click?  The earbuds that came with my phone do not make that click.

whooow.. ive been looking for years now literally. the link is an interesting read, yet i would really like to somehow get a nice cable with volume control and mic like all the other brands now have.. sigh whats UE and logitech been doing? -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back