Custom hearing Protectors + Universal IEM
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vinylfirst

New Head-Fier
Just located my (for concert) hearing protectors custom made by an audiologist. Not too expensive. I think they are Westone. So says the case for the protectors.

I removed the ER attenuators.

Then I tried some of my IEMS in the protectors. With the tipless IEMS I just inserted the stem into the hole where the filter goes.

ER6s fit perfectly but sounded thin.

IE7s fit good enough and are my choice now.

TF 10 barely fit and are too big to bother with.

I get my best fit with foamies on the TF and IE7. Seems sealed. Good sound. But they are still not very deeply inserted and somewhat uncomfortable.

However, at first listen to the IE7s through the Westone protectors, I dropped my jaw. Soundstage and tonal improvements etc. The TFs were great also, but a bother.

The IE7s are easy to snap into the protectors after inserting the protectors into my ears. They don't fall apart when lifting weights. And they don't look bad in the ear. The IE7 stem is angled to its body, and I can consider this stem angle and have 360 degrees of rotation options for comfort and sound.

I really cannot make any value statements comparing straight IE7 and IE7 + Westone protectors. I don't feel the straight IE7 gives a perfect fit for me.

I cannot say how much the protectors color the IE7 presentation either.

But they work for me. YMMV and the purists may howl.

Of course I am open to suggestions or advise.

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back