Custom headphone stand
Aug 18, 2011 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nickum32

Head-Fier
So, after leaving my Denon's on my desk for about a month too long, I decided I needed a stand, but I really don't have spare cash lying around. What I do have lying around, though, is computer parts, and lots of them. What I decided to do was mount my headphones over a 3.5" hard drive rack from one of my old computer cases, but because they still needed to be separated, I put and old hard drive between the two panels. What's really great here is that the metal has fully rounded and soft corners, so as not to hurt the computer builder when he is inside his case, also, I think it looks pretty dang cool with the open hard drive in the middle there. My only hesitation is the large separation between the two cups, but it is no match for the width of my head when I am wearing them, and its not as bad when I fully extend the earcups. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 8
I thought they were AH-5000's, nope 2000's. Anyway's be careful because that sharp metal can cut into the faux leather and its $20-50 for another headband. Also i dont recommend you using that for years to come

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 8
That headband looks all kinds of unhappy.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Ahh, so I guess it wasn't a good idea. Whatever, I posted it half with the hopes that some could point out if I was doing anything wrong here. My thoughts were thinking that if people use those fake heads for stands, it wouldn't be a big deal to have my headband expanded like that. Whatever, that's the reason I use Head-Fi, to learn these types of lessons.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ahh, so I guess it wasn't a good idea. Whatever, I posted it half with the hopes that some could point out if I was doing anything wrong here. My thoughts were thinking that if people use those fake heads for stands, it wouldn't be a big deal to have my headband expanded like that. Whatever, that's the reason I use Head-Fi, to learn these types of lessons.

Expanding the headband like that is fine, just the the stand are computer parts, shape or edged objects could damage the headphones
HOwever I do like the idea of this, making a part of a working computer to be a standalone headphone stand

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Yea its a cool idea. I personally dont think its okay to expand the headband like that, at least not for long periods. Denons dont have the strongest headbands. It feels like two pieces of thin plastic under the faux leather. Plus you have J$ pads which is making the headband expand even further. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Expanding the headband like that is fine, just the the stand are computer parts, shape or edged objects could damage the headphones
HOwever I do like the idea of this, making a part of a working computer to be a standalone headphone stand

Actually, I thought of the idea of sharp edged metal, and I gave this a full inspection before I put my headphones on top of it. The headphones are actually quite safe from being cut. I would say that the only worry here is the strength of the band, and as you said, Hester, Denon bands really are not that strong. I think i'm just going to resume laying them ever so gently on a pad on my desk. That really only puts pressure on the swivel hinges, but those seem strong enough to take it. *Sigh*, it was a neat idea, but I guess it just won't be putting it into long term use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back