Custom Earplugs
Nov 4, 2007 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SuperNothing

500+ Head-Fier
To preface this I know this technically doesn't have to do with earphones per say but it is similar to the work done for Custom IEM's and I wasn't sure what other forum it could go in. The mods are free to move it if they want though.

I do a lot of work with power tools in the course of building theater sets at my school. I have recently started to worry more about the effects it has on my hearing. I have been using the little disposable foam earplugs by E-A-
R and I know those have great sound reduction but I find that they are both uncomfortable and I can never hear what anyone is saying. As a result I frequently forget to wear them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with custom earplugs and if anyone makes especially good ones. I was looking at both Etymotic and Westone but wasn't sure who made better plugs.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 8
I have already found a bunch of places online I was just asking for personal recommendations concerning which earplugs were better than others. I also had no plans to do the impressions myself. I am not that stupid.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't have any experience with the Etymotics but I do have custom Westone plugs. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Seriously, they're one of the best investments I've ever made. Paid for themselves the first concert I went to.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm very fond of the non-custom Etymotic ER-20 earplugs. If you are thinking of getting the Etymotic custom earplugs, I would encourage you first to try a set of the ER-20's so you can see if the way that they reduce sound is suitable for your particular use.

The Etymotics are designed to be "high-fidelity" earplugs, reducing sound levels approximately equally at all frequencies. That's great for music listening, but I don't know if it will be equally great for power tool use. Though FWIW I use ER-20s with my old and very noisy vacuum cleaner, and like them pretty well for that purpose.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any experience with the Etymotics but I do have custom Westone plugs. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Seriously, they're one of the best investments I've ever made. Paid for themselves the first concert I went to.

Looking at the Westones, they have different materials available; is vinyl or silicone more comfortable?

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the Westones, they have different materials available; is vinyl or silicone more comfortable?

No experience with the vinyl, but the harder the material, the longer it tends to last for customs.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Are you going to need flat frequency response? I guess for power tools it's probably not essential.
Flat frequency 'musicians' earplugs like the ER-15 are much more expensive than general purpose earplugs.
You could try going to http://earplugstore.com and see if you get some ideas from there.
Your best bet is to probably just go see an audiologist and discuss what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back