Custom earphones for 80 bucks from school <- edit, just informed, sleeves only, nevermind
Jul 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
The University of Minnesota's department of Speech and Hearing Sciences are offering custom molded earplugs and headphones. They do the molds at their lab on campus and send them out to for earphone creation etc... The cost for the headphones are only 80 bucks and that includes molding...

They didn't have any info regarding the phones themselves, but I am hoping they are acrylic and not the spongy squishy ones that you can do yourself for like 30 bucks... For 80 bucks though, I figured why not try it out?

I have a feeling they might be Starkey drivers, since they have a huge office in MN...

I am assuming they would be:

Acrylic
Single driver
Non-replaceable cable

Hopefully they sound OK?

NEVERMIND
.... they just left me a message... 80 bucks is for custom "sleeves"... otherwise they send to Sensaphonics and they take it from there... Too good to be true I guess...

Sorry about the false hope...

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by archercat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The University of Minnesota's department of Speech and Hearing Sciences are offering custom molded earplugs and headphones. They do the molds at their lab on campus and send them out to for earphone creation etc... The cost for the headphones are only 80 bucks and that includes molding...

They didn't have any info regarding the phones themselves, but I am hoping they are acrylic and not the spongy squishy ones that you can do yourself for like 30 bucks... For 80 bucks though, I figured why not try it out?

I have a feeling they might be Starkey drivers, since they have a huge office in MN...

I am assuming they would be:

Acrylic
Single driver
Non-replaceable cable

Hopefully they sound OK?

Wow! Just getting ear impressions can be $50. Ety's are only single driver and they sound fantastic. Please feel free to give us a review.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Do you think that they'll do this next year??? I'll be going to U of M come next fall, and it would be nice to get some cheap customs.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 8
I found an article from 2008 that said they did about a week ago I sent them an email and apparently they still do. I guess they do it as more of a safety thing etc... They equip the marching band with the custom earplugs...

U offers ear-mold headphones to reduce outside noise | mndaily.com - Serving the University of Minnesota Since 1900

NEVERMIND.... they just left me a message... 80 bucks is for custom "sleeves"... otherwise they send to Sensaphonics and they take it from there... Too good to be true I guess...

Sorry about the false hope...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back