Custom ear tips replacement for my Sennheiser IE80
Apr 21, 2012 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

3rik

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've just lost one ear tip. I'd like to buy custom replacement ear tips but I know nothing about that.

I use the "normal" ear tips thet are mounted on th IE80 when you buy it.

What are the best ones ?

I thank you all for your advices :)

Eric

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Not sure there are any makers of custom tips for IE80's. I would look into Sony hybrids or Comply tips. I used and loved the Comply's before my IE8's bit the dust.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 9
I m actually looking for a new set of replacement ear tips as well, but be forewarned about the tips from Comply. I ordered a set of 10 pieces from Comply in August since my old set of 10 (of the TX-500) had been all used up. The TX-500 (circa June 2011) had been terrific for me but since I had moved from the IE8 to IE80 (which has the wax protector built into the ear piece) I figured I didnt need that feature from the comply tips, so I I ended up ordering a set of the T500.

However after using just one pair of the pieces, I ve sworn off them!  The foam quality in the new ones are just real **** - I guess the company figured they could sell more if they made them to disintegrate in 2-3 weeks. The old set from 2011 was amazing and lasted a yr (about two months a pair since i take excellent care of my earphones)  so I m really disappointed in the quality. Considering these tips cost as much as some entry-level headphones (~23 shipped), I was really disappointed.

However it looks like there aren't a ton of other alternatives which is a real shame - ACS's gel tips seems really expensive but seems like a more long-term replacement. Will do more research, but if any of you folks have other suggestions, please let me know! 

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I have tried Comply, Auvio, Meelec and Sony. For me, the best are the Sony hybrids. People complain about the tube size but I cut the hybrid tube down a bit and force them on a bit further to stretch the tube. It works great.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I m actually looking for a new set of replacement ear tips as well, but be forewarned about the tips from Comply. I ordered a set of 10 pieces from Comply in August since my old set of 10 (of the TX-500) had been all used up. The TX-500 (circa June 2011) had been terrific for me but since I had moved from the IE8 to IE80 (which has the wax protector built into the ear piece) I figured I didnt need that feature from the comply tips, so I I ended up ordering a set of the T500.

However after using just one pair of the pieces, I ve sworn off them!  The foam quality in the new ones are just real **** - I guess the company figured they could sell more if they made them to disintegrate in 2-3 weeks. The old set from 2011 was amazing and lasted a yr (about two months a pair since i take excellent care of my earphones)  so I m really disappointed in the quality. Considering these tips cost as much as some entry-level headphones (~23 shipped), I was really disappointed.

However it looks like there aren't a ton of other alternatives which is a real shame - ACS's gel tips seems really expensive but seems like a more long-term replacement. Will do more research, but if any of you folks have other suggestions, please let me know! 

I didn't realise that there was a wax protector built in to the ie80s. Any more info on this would be appreciated as I am using the Tx500s specifically for this purpose. I don't really like them as they require quite a bit of manoeuvering before I can get a fit that allows the best sound quality. They also cause a tickling sensation in my right ear after a while. I also don't want to cut up ear tips to fit (a la the Sony hybrids) so what tips would people recommend? Should I go for the ts500s or maybe a smaller size like the ts400?

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Old thread, but I'll add to it since the IE80 is still sold. I've had mine for a few months and settled on using the largest foam set included. I thought they sounded good before, but I couldn't get the fit quite right, and there was ever-present sound leakage (bad seal). It wasn't enough to stop me from using them, but it was an annoyance, considering the cost of the IEMs. This week, I replaced the stock foams with the Comply larges and was instantly blown away. It's like I have a different set of IEMs. Everything is clearer, more nuanced, and more detailed. The seal is secure, but comfortable. I write this as someone accustomed to using Shure SE235s with large Shure foam tips (and who was only considering the IE80s to be slightly better). I now consider the IE80 to be a much, much better purchase than before, and worth every penny of Sennheiser's MSRP. The Comply tips are expensive (about $7/pair), but absolutely worth it IMO. Consider if you have largish ear canals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back