Custom Ear Pads (Pics)
Aug 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 65
Looks like the same material my new blanket is made out of, and if my blanket is any indication, I would *kill* to have these on my ears all the time.
darthsmile.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 65
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but did you ever get around to making leather pads?

This was an awesome and informative mod, as I'm considering attempting to make lambskin/leather pads for the ATH-M50. Only thing is that I want to keep the originals around in case I don't like the sound sig, and not sure how to create a proper mounting.

There is also the issue of what to use to cover the drivers, not sure what would work best (although I heard micropore may work well)

Also unsure of what filling material to use. Cotton and polyester seem to be safe bets, but I'm thinking about polyurethane memory foam. It would appear to be quite ergonomic ( even though I can't stand memory foam pillows) and dense enough to provide an excellent seal.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #20 of 65
This thread is just too awesome, full of win! It shouldn't die.

I've just made some for my SR850. After a lot of experimenting, I settled with three layers of black velour, stuffed with cotton. I tried foam and pillow stuffing (those thin plastic fibers), but neither seals as good as cotton. Compared to the stock vinyl pads, these DIY velour/cotton pads keep the bass intact yet extend it without screwing up the rest of the frequencies, and the mids-highs get a little brighter. The best word to describe the change is sweeter sound, more "musical". I love them!

For covering the drivers you can use whatever the headphones already have in there to protect them..

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #21 of 65
hey, ill probably look into making my own pads, as my m50's pleather ones are really uncomfortable and are getting stiff.
great tutorial, and seems quite easy to do, but i have one question,

you pulled apart your old pads to reuse the bit that slips onto the phones, but is there another way to make those parts yourself without having to destroy the original pads?

i just like the idea of having my pleather pads to fall back on if the sound quality or whatever of the custom pads arent as good.

cheers

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 65

I wonder if you could just take a flat piece of leather or thick material and then cut a ring out (like an onion ring) and then just stitch that on.  I want to try this aswell but just not too keen on ripping apart my current pads.
Quote:
hey, ill probably look into making my own pads, as my m50's pleather ones are really uncomfortable and are getting stiff.
great tutorial, and seems quite easy to do, but i have one question,

you pulled apart your old pads to reuse the bit that slips onto the phones, but is there another way to make those parts yourself without having to destroy the original pads?

i just like the idea of having my pleather pads to fall back on if the sound quality or whatever of the custom pads arent as good.

cheers

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 65
Well, instead of stitching a leather ring or something to keep the pad on the headphone, you can do the same with some elastic! The elastic ring'd have to be smaller in diameter than the pad itself so it can stretch on the headphone and keep itself there..

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 65

Quote:
Well, instead of stitching a leather ring or something to keep the pad on the headphone, you can do the same with some elastic! The elastic ring'd have to be smaller in diameter than the pad itself so it can stretch on the headphone and keep itself there..

thats a great idea, however i get the feeling that the pad would be loose and would fall off the headphones with just a light tug..

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 65

Quote:
also, i have another question.
why do you need to measure the circumference then minus 2 inches?
wouldnt that make it smaller than he original pad?

Maybe that's because once you finish stitching the pad and stuff it with fill, it will expand from 10"(flattened) to 12"(filled)

Although I could be wrong

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #27 of 65
ok well i tried a very experimental dud piece without the bit to attach to headphone,
used a really thin cotton fabric (like the stuff business shirts are made of, just 100% cotton tho,) and stuffed with cotton balls.

dunno how it sounds, cuz i made it too small(not fat enough) and the balls inside were really lumpy and quite uncomfortable.
the only reason i used cotton balls was cuz i had them lying around in my bathroom and didnt have any of that stuffing that OP used.

zammykoo was right, i think, well at least for it it did expand and turn into 12" like the original.. the experimental piece was about exactly he same size as the m50's pads.

still working on figuring out how to replicate the attachment piece to make the pad go on the headphone... keep the ideas coming guys!

also if anyone has any info on materials to use/avoid in terms of sound quality enhancement and reduction, any feedbak would be greatly appreciated.
im trying to recreate the sound of the original pads, whilst achieving a higher level of comfort.(my outer ear cartillage rubs against the raised metal bit sticking out of the headphone thingy.

thanks

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 65
@necorn

I have been tossing this idea around in my head... not sure if it will work. But when I start to make my own pads I plan on using some tshirt iron on material to make the ring. It will make the fabric thicker around the rim, making it hold its shape better.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 65
i thought of a very crude way...
something along the lines of adding glue/hardener of some sort to the small ring needed to make the attachment piece..
adding pva glue to fabric, as i have experienced before, does indeed harden the fabric.
however it may not be the best solution as it could soften in hot weather and stuff like that.

going on that glue idea...
glueing cardboard to the material using pva glue. this could relieve the hot weather issue a little bit, as the cardboard should remain stiff, even if the glue were to soften.
the problem with this method is the repetitive creasing of the cardboard could render the cardboard floppy and soft like the original fabric, but as long as you dont keep taking the pads on and off it shud work ok.

question: is the reduction/enhancement of sound quality due to the soft pads, or the bit separating the driver to your ears, or both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back