custom ear molds
Jun 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 17
Mine took a couple of weeks. The lab seems to be really busy lately.

Just saw that I said I would post my thoughts... I've had my custom tips for about ten days now, and I'm very happy with them. They are very comfortable and seal well. It did change the frequency balance of the X10's compared to stock tips, leaning more towards treble strangely. The bass is definitely there, but having larger sound tube and a better seal seems to have increased the treble more than the bass. So I'm running with the "Pop" EQ on my mp3 player, and that seems to be pretty close.

I think I've learned a difference between custom tips and a full custom IEM: Universal IEM's seem to be designed and tested with universal tips in mind, and adding custom tips, though it makes things sound better, may require some EQ. Custom IEM's are designed and tested with the custom fit in mind, so they should be closer to their optimal sound signature without EQ.

That said, my total price for the IEM and tips was about $300, which is less than a comparable custom would cost (though I'm sure someone will post an exception to that rule).

Overall I'm very happy with the ListenHear/Starkey custom tips. I'm guessing that the X10 with the Starkeys will be my main IEM for at least a year or two. Though I do see an ES3X or something of that caliber in my future.

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound quality improves dramatically with the custom inserts.

They are more comfortable than the foam tips that I had been using. I was getting better bass with the foam tips than with the rubber.

The bass is even better than the foam with the customs.

The only downside is that they really cut out exterior noise; so don't use them if you need to hear what is going on. I think they are best for airplances and playing in bed when you don't want to bug your significant other.

What about playing in bed when you want to involve your significant other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back