Custom Ear Molds..What's a Good Fit?
Jul 18, 2005 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CaptainChet

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Well today I received my custom ear molds for my UM2's.(Westone Model 56) What I'm trying to decided is if they fit correctly! If you own any custom ear mold product, I would like to hear your opinion.

I'm sure I'm getting a reasonably good seal as the UM2 sound great; better than with any other tip I have tried. Just as a quick comparison, I would say these make the UM's sound 50% better (just how I came up with that is beyond me
smily_headphones1.gif
)

However, I do feel some new pressures on my ears that I never had before. I did wear them for a few hours straight and was not in any 'pain' per se, just not all that comfortable. Also, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the total attentuation I should. It's really not much better (perhaps slightly) than the UM2 with the ety tips.

So, some guidance would be apprecated. I know this is such a difficult thing to desribe. The good thing is the audiologist said they would gladly remake them during the first 30 days if I felt the fit wasn't quite right.

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 12
As far as pressure sensations, do you yawn or move your jaws as if chewing, to relieve pressure in your ear?

Should do this at time with any IEM that has a good seal - when your push it in, pressure builds inside that will tend to work the IEM out slightly unless you yawn while holding it in place.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
Hi All,

However, I do feel some new pressures on my ears that I never had before. I did wear them for a few hours straight and was not in any 'pain' per se, just not all that comfortable. Also, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the total attentuation I should. It's really not much better (perhaps slightly) than the UM2 with the ety tips.

So, some guidance would be apprecated. I know this is such a difficult thing to desribe. The good thing is the audiologist said they would gladly remake them during the first 30 days if I felt the fit wasn't quite right.

If they're not comfortable, you probably won't use it in the long run. If I were you, I'd ask the audiologist about fit. To check if you're getting the right amount of attenuation, compare the attenuation with some drug-store ear plugs or ask your audiologist.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 12
You definitely know that they are in there. There is a sensation that your ears are stuffed, not totally comfortable but not painful either. You also get the positive/negative pressure as you insert and remove. I wore them for an extended period (6+ hours) and had no pain. Actually, less pain than the comply or flange tips and did not notice them after a couple of hours. Comfort is a relative thing, isn't it? To me comfort is not having anything at all in there!

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 12
I have to agree that it isn't perfect. I've had my UE-10's for a few weeks now. They aren't totally comfortible but then again what headphone is. I find this is especially true at the gym. Where I can hear my pulse in my ear when I am doing cardio.

So for in the office. I can eat, although it does feel weird and not lose the seal. So I figure that is a good fit. I can open my mouth all the way and I don't lose the seal. I find that when I workout there is sweat that gets into the canal and there isn't anything I can do about it. Adds a light level of distortion that I other times don't hear. I also find level of detail is something I am getting use to. Anyways I don't find I have any issues besides at the gym.

It feels like something hard is in your ear. It is nice that when you put them in they are cool. They are the right shape, just doesn't feel nature. I thought about going with the soft compound. But didn't think it would be good durible wise and it would take longer to put them it and out. Sometimes I prefer just to put on my Grado 60's just because they are quicker to put on and I don't have to stick something in my ear.

But in closing I love them and actually I am in the process of finding music that works well with them at the gym. Old Smashing Pumkins sounded great tonight.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
As far as pressure sensations, do you yawn or move your jaws as if chewing, to relieve pressure in your ear?

Should do this at time with any IEM that has a good seal - when your push it in, pressure builds inside that will tend to work the IEM out slightly unless you yawn while holding it in place.

This is not the type of pressure I mean. I'm really used to that kind of pressure from flying at 35,000 ft and constant cabin pressure changes on the way up and down.

What I'm mean is pressure on a partuclar part of the ear canal caused by the custom tips. Like I said, not exactly pain but I can feel something I didn't feel with any of the other tips.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't know if it helps you, but I recently got a new set of my Sensaphonics 2X-S. My original set developed a problem with a driver, so they made me a new pair under warranty.

I noticed that despite coming from the same mold, my ears took about 2 weeks to get used to them again. One part was pressure as you describe - they seemed to dig against one of the creases in my ears (as did my original set for the first few weeks). My theory is that they're slightly large, but my ears got used to them, and then needed to get used to them again as I didn't have any Sensas for about 4 weeks while they got replaced.

Another issue is just lubrication. The new pair was harder to fit in, despite being quite proficient in putting them in. They just need time to attract natural oils/wax to slide in comfortably.

If they still give you comfort issues after 3 weeks, that definitely is an issue. But even for the practiced custom IEM wearer, I found a new pair does require a bit of time to get used to again.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I don't know if it helps you, but I recently got a new set of my Sensaphonics 2X-S. My original set developed a problem with a driver, so they made me a new pair under warranty.

I noticed that despite coming from the same mold, my ears took about 2 weeks to get used to them again. One part was pressure as you describe - they seemed to dig against one of the creases in my ears (as did my original set for the first few weeks). My theory is that they're slightly large, but my ears got used to them, and then needed to get used to them again as I didn't have any Sensas for about 4 weeks while they got replaced.

Another issue is just lubrication. The new pair was harder to fit in, despite being quite proficient in putting them in. They just need time to attract natural oils/wax to slide in comfortably.

If they still give you comfort issues after 3 weeks, that definitely is an issue. But even for the practiced custom IEM wearer, I found a new pair does require a bit of time to get used to again.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jason, just curious what was the issue with the driver and how did you know you have a problem..

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Jason, just curious what was the issue with the driver and how did you know you have a problem..

The connection to the high frequency driver in the left monitor was loose - if I pushed on it, it would work. But otherwise it cut in and out. Was quite an interesting acoustic experience actually, suddenly losing only high frequencies in the left ear.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I don't know if it helps you, but I recently got a new set of my Sensaphonics 2X-S.

Best regards,

-Jason

Thanks Jason, that sounds like the best advise and the answer I was looking for!! Three weeks it is!

I'm thinking about the 2X myself, can you make any comaprisons to the UM2 as far as sound quality?

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
Also, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting the total attentuation I should. It's really not much better (perhaps slightly) than the UM2 with the ety tips.

I've gathered from reading numerous posts here that attenuation with custom molds is often no better than with properly fitting universal eartips. As for pressure points, though, that would concern me. Agreed that you should consult your audiologist about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back