Custom ear mold instructions thread
Jan 4, 2006 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
Okay, guys, I just received my do-it-yourself custom ear mold kit from the Ear Plug Store (I understand they use Westone to make the plugs) for my Ety's. They come with an instructions page, but I want to get as many opinions as I can about how to take a correct mold. I know many feel this is best done by a professional audiologist, but I bet even some of them don't have the best practices perfect. I'll trust Head-Fi's community brain.

Should I open my mouth? The whole time, or just sporadically? Things like this regarding what to do, what not to do. Allow me (and us) to learn from your success or failure at getting a perfect fitting earmold, whether you did it yourself or had it done.

Thanks,
Matt

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 8
is your mouth usually open when using your Etys? if so, then keep it open for your impressions. if not then it might be as well to keep closed for maximum comfort. The sensaphonic/ultimate ear impression taking instructions are aimed primarily at musicians and they would be expected to be singing etc whilst using their iems, hence the open mouth impressions.

If your ears are clear of earwax, then is probably ok to do impressions DIY, otherwise you risk shoving the earwax past the second bend of your ear canal when you put the otoblock into place and squirt in the impression material, which really isn't the best of ideas.

The instructions that come with the kit are pretty good, the only tricky part is judging how deep the otoblock needs to go

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 8
you need to tilt your head sideways whilst douing each (induvidually) ear, it has been concluded in the past that a biting block 1" thick (to keep your mouth open) will give the best shape.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 8
The best mrthod is to keep your mouth open the entire time (from insertion of the goo, until it harderns and you take it out). This creates the best seal and most comfort. The benefit is, when your mouth is open you will still get a good seal, but when your mouth is closed, the seal is even greater.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 8
I dunno, I'd be a little wary of doing it myself. I went to an audiologist who told me I had an impacted cerumen issue (solid earwax) that I was unaware of, I had no hearing loss whatsoever and nothing was ever on the Q-Tip during cleaning. He told me it was probably building for sometime. I got a bottle of goo and lo and behold, after the third day, I flushed and this ROCK came out.

I'm just saying, there could be something you're not aware of going on in there.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, I had three sets of impressions done by an audiologist and it's still not right, so I really would NOT trust my own ability to make a good impression
etysmile.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 8
dvallere, somehow your logic seems flawed to me. 3 audiologists screwing up the job sounds to me like a heck of a reason to try doing it yourself, after your own research, of course.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Hmm, maybe. My theory was, if the pro can't do it right, then I certainly can't.

Well, the times I had them done:

1st time: mouth held open by a 1" bite block centered in my mouth. Did not move jaw around while impressions were curing.

2nd time: 2" bite block on right side of mouth (right earpiece was the one that's not working right). Didn't move jaw.

3rd time: No bite block, but forced my mouth as wide open as I could, the whole time. (My audiologist put me in the hallway of the office for this one...you don't know how idiotic it feels to sit there with your mouth gaping, pink goo in your ear, and other patients coming and going! Plus, you can't hear what's going on!) Didn't move jaw.

HTH,

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back