Custom Build Your Own IEMs?
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

domino584

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried? At the school we have recently built an entire lab designed to do practically anything you want in the engineering buildings. Everything from soldering equipment, CNC, fabs, 3D printers, and all the tools and material you want for prototyping. I wonder how difficult it would be to build your own IEMs?

It looks like it can be as simple as designing an acoustic chamber, slabbing a bunch of speakers together, and tying them up over a crossover? I assume it's MUCH more complicated than that; especially if you factor in the engineering behind the acoustic chambers, but I figure I could build upon an existing platform and order all the parts separately and build it myself in our labs at a fraction of the price of the superior high-ends. Could also be an awesome learning experience too.

I've seen BA parts that can be as cheap as 15 bucks. Is there any tutorial around that I could follow/tweak to build some nice custom in-ears? Who are some good suppliers to buy the parts from? I think it would be cool as well to compile this all in a report too. If they turn out good, I could probably give away the blue-prints if anyone is interested (parts, supplies, the whole 9 yards).

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Nov 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 3
There is a whole section of the forums dedicated to these sort of things:
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions.6/

With notably:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/

Someone who has tried it is a great guy called Piotr, @piotrus-g, who I believe started out as a reviewer and ended up establishing one of my favourite companies, Custom Art. I believe he can be regularly found in the DIY section of the forums. Good luck!

This is awesome! Thanks a lot. I'm going to start this project over the Christmas holidays and track my progress. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back