Custom Art: Audio Cutting Out
Feb 6, 2018 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Convergence

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some help troubleshooting my "Music 2" from Custom Art.

The *right* ear randomly and partially cuts out. What I've noticed so far:
-The problem persists after changing cables.
-It seems kind of random, meaning that it doesn't matter what position my body, the cable, or the device is in.
-Happens whether I'm moving or staying still.
-Is incomplete, meaning that I still get some audio when it cuts out. My guess is that only one of the Balanced Armature's is going out, leaving the other functional (it's probably the lower end BA that is cutting out).
-The problem doesn't effect the left monitor at all.
-There doesn't seem to be anything physically obstructing the sound canal (My IEMs are semi-translucent)
-I've already tried drying them out, and cleaning the contacts. ( I didn't use heat when trying to dry them out, maybe I should try gently heating them)
-Once it cuts out, it won't randomly get better unless I remove the monitor from my ear, and put it back in
-My ears are pretty clean
-This has been going on for months
-Once it cuts out, it cuts out more frequently (I.E. when I first listen to them, they are fine for several minutes, but once it cuts out, it will cut out very frequently, and will only work for a few seconds at a time. What momentarily fixes it is taking it out and putting it back in)

Can you guys think of anything I might be missing? I think I'm going to try drying them out again using gentle heat this time. Another thought is just to leave them running over night (I don't know how that could possibly help, but it's an idea)

My Guess is that because my IEMs are silicone, internal soldering has come loose to one of the BA's, removing the monitor kind of deforms it, causing the connection to reconnect for brief moments. Or maybe there is moisture in one of the BA's (despite my unheated attempt to dry it out). It's possible that my body heat makes whatever is wrong a little worse (which would explain why it works for the first few minutes, and gets progressively worse).

If I can't resolve this on my own, what would you guys suggest doing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm looking for some help troubleshooting my "Music 2" from Custom Art.

The *right* ear randomly and partially cuts out. What I've noticed so far:
-The problem persists after changing cables.
-It seems kind of random, meaning that it doesn't matter what position my body, the cable, or the device is in.
-Happens whether I'm moving or staying still.
-Is incomplete, meaning that I still get some audio when it cuts out. My guess is that only one of the Balanced Armature's is going out, leaving the other functional (it's probably the lower end BA that is cutting out).
-The problem doesn't effect the left monitor at all.
-There doesn't seem to be anything physically obstructing the sound canal (My IEMs are semi-translucent)
-I've already tried drying them out, and cleaning the contacts. ( I didn't use heat when trying to dry them out, maybe I should try gently heating them)
-Once it cuts out, it won't randomly get better unless I remove the monitor from my ear, and put it back in
-My ears are pretty clean
-This has been going on for months
-Once it cuts out, it cuts out more frequently (I.E. when I first listen to them, they are fine for several minutes, but once it cuts out, it will cut out very frequently, and will only work for a few seconds at a time. What momentarily fixes it is taking it out and putting it back in)

Can you guys think of anything I might be missing? I think I'm going to try drying them out again using gentle heat this time. Another thought is just to leave them running over night (I don't know how that could possibly help, but it's an idea)

My Guess is that because my IEMs are silicone, internal soldering has come loose to one of the BA's, removing the monitor kind of deforms it, causing the connection to reconnect for brief moments. Or maybe there is moisture in one of the BA's (despite my unheated attempt to dry it out). It's possible that my body heat makes whatever is wrong a little worse (which would explain why it works for the first few minutes, and gets progressively worse).

If I can't resolve this on my own, what would you guys suggest doing?

Thanks in advance.
Hi

Please send us an email to info@thecustomart.com and please don't forget to include serial number of your monitor so that we can find your order in our system.

We will be happy to fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back