Custom ACS tips? Maybe Amp?
Sep 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys! Been a while since I posted here since I've been satisfied with my gear. However, as we all know, once you go head-fi, there's no turning back. I bought a pair of Etymotic HF5's during the Summer and have loved using them with J3 on the go. The isolation is much better than my other sets (I use the small triple flange) and with a bit of EQ to boost up the bass a bit, they sound superb.

My only problem is that the triple flange start to get uncomfortable after prolonged use (>1 hour). Specifically, I get a congested feeling in my head, and when I take them out, they hurt a bit for 5~10 minutes. I have tried the gliders, foamies, and also the Klipsch gels, but they just don't sound as good/don't get the same seal (which results in mediocre bass) as the triple flange. I have read that many other HF5 users have had the same problem with the triple flange.

I then remembered the ACS custom tips that ljokerl included in his Multi-IEM review of the HF5s. He noted that they are much more comfortable than the triple flange, yet offer even better isolation. I did some research on the ACS tips, mainly in head-fi, and noticed that many other ACS tip users had the same opinion, saying these are a bargain of an upgrade for the cost. I proceeded to find (through the Etymotic Dealer locator) and call local audiologists to see how much they would charge for the impressions. After calling many many stores and getting >expected costs, I finally found a dealer that would charge $100 for the entire bundle; ACS tips + ear impressions.

Now here's why I made this thread: I am completely new to custom ear tips, so I have a bunch of questions.
1. I read that customs are much different than universal tips because you need to "twist" them in. Is this the same for the ACS tips, or do you not have to "twist" them in because they are just tips and not full custom shells?
2. The difference between Acrylic and Silicon. I believe the ACS tips are silicon, but what are the main difference between the two other than hard/soft? Is one easier to insert into your ear than the other? Does one last longer? Does the silicon deform after a while?
3. Do you think these are worth the $100? I've tried to keep away from >$100 IEMs because they tend to get uncomfortable after 1~2 hours no matter what tip I use. But, if these tips alleviate that problem, I am willing to pay the extra cost since I really like my HF5s.
4. Do all the ACS tips come transparent?
5. If I need the tips refitted, does it cost anything extra? Or does that depend on the audiologist?
6. Not related to customs, but if you use the HF5s on a Cowon player, care to share your EQ setting? Just curious~

Those are the questions I can think of now, may have a bit more later. Sorry for all these questions, just kind of nervous since I want to make sure this $100 upgrade is worth it.

I have also thought about getting a portable amp for my J3 recently, but have been away from head-fi for a while/haven't really checked in on Amps. I usually use my V-Moda M80s and Etymotic HF5s on the go. I sometimes use my ATH-M50s, but usually leave those at home. I've seen that the Fiio series (I think the E7, E11, E12?) are relatively popular here, but any recommendations? My budget would be ~$100.

Thank you for reading the wall of text, any help is greatly appreciated!

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 2
Can't remember if double posting is allowed or not, sorry if it isn't >_<;
A bit of an update/another question. I contacted ACS today to ask about their color options and refit costs if something goes wrong. I also asked whether you can choose full shell molds or canal molds, and they said yes.
So, are there any key differences between full shell molds and canal molds, specifically for the HF5s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back