Custom 3, image x10, or Future Sonic M5?
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

scottfa

New Head-Fier
OK.....I want to get an IEM for a Sansa Clip and others(see below). I will use it in a variety of settings(unfortunately). Here are the settings in order of importance:
1. Listening while on week long bicycle trips late at night.
2. While running on a treadmill and riding my bike on the trainer.
3. Running outside/gym.
4. Using it to monitor home recording projects, so no leakage is important.
5. Listening for enjoyment at home. on good stereo equipment.

Edit: I have the Koss Porta Pros which I have liked for 20 years now.....
The lastest CD's I have ripped are: Robben Ford, King Crimson, Philip Glass, John McLauglin, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits, John Zorn
Irealize that this is wide ranging. I can get the M5's for $162, the Images for $211 and the custom 3's for $178

Thanks for any help.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 6
just a little thought to add on since i have tried the image and m5 tips. the image tips isolate pretty well. it is really easy to get a good seal with them and they stay put nicely too. the atrio on the other hand sort of lack isolation and getting the seal might take a couple of tries (using the earfill silicon tips). comfort for both are great.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price, I'd probably go for the Sleek Audio SA6 or the Etymotic ER4P with a decent amp.

I dunno, I've tried the ER-4P/treadmill combination before and it isn't pretty at all thanks to atrocious microphonics. Also, I love the Ety sound but with an amp he's talking about a whole different price range.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 6
These IEM's are at the top of my price range. I am leaning towards the M5's because of price. Microphonics is important to me, not only while exersizing, but sleeping in a tent and trying to get to sleep with the phones on makes moving around with microphonics unapealing.
Any opinions on the hard shell cases may sway my opinion as well. These phones will be tossed into a bag and then tossed with hundreds of others in a truck for seven days in a row.

For some reason I am leary of the Sa6's . Any defenses?
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back