Custom 3 : Am I Wearing These Right?
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Squirsier

500+ Head-Fier
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had my Custom 3 for 2 days, however, at the moment, I was less than pleased. I am getting a seal by only using the big dual flange. Not an issue per say, as they are comfortable, however :

1) Where's the soundstage? The sound is even MORE in my head then what I can remember with the Grado Sr325i.

2) They're pretty dark... Even my Sleek SA6 which I consider dark are brighter in comparison. The bass is nice, but nothing exciting, in fact, my cheap pair of AKG k414p fairs way better in the bass department, which leads me to believe that....

I must be wearing these wrongs/getting a bad seal. I tried all the available tips... Either I am doing something wrong in putting them in my ears or that's just how they sound (tiny soundstage, dark) and they're not just for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone experienced that or has any tips on how to get a better seal with the CS3?

Thanks,

-Squirsier

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 30
Squirsier, I seem to remember quite a few people had problems getting a seal with them.
In fact, I think some people never got to actually hear them properly because they didn't ever manage to maintain the seal
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) They're pretty dark... Even my Sleek SA6 which I consider dark are brighter in comparison. The bass is nice, but nothing exciting, in fact, my cheap pair of AKG k414p fairs way better in the bass department, which leads me to believe that....

Sleeks... dark?
confused.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 30
This is an IEM you don't hear too much about. Hope you get a consistent listening experience with them squirsier as would be eager to hear someone's impressions of them!

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleeks... dark?
confused.gif

I need lots of treble energy to enjoy my music. The "standard" by which I usually judge every other headphones for clarity are the Yuin PK1. Even a low cost headphone like the Sony MDREX75, AKG k414p to name two can provide better upper highs clarity than the Sleeks can with the Treble ++ tips (at least, from my experience, as usual, your mileage may vary). Obviously, they can't touch the Sleeks for those mids.

Thanks to all who answered. BloodSugar00, I might not be able to really give them more time. I got frustrated today and went out to buy a pair of Q-Jays. Results? Instant love, I found what I was looking for.... Yuin PK1-ish sound but with added bass. The soundstage is definitly not PK1 but it's WAY better than the Custom 3, which has none.

soozieq, I think you're right. After I posted my message I went to search the forums (should have done the opposite - I blame laziness, at least I am honest :p ) and I found out that a few other people were experiencing the same thing. Ah well. I'll still love Klipsch's speakers, but their IEMs are not for me :/

screwglue, as mentioned above, I don't seem to be the only one with this particular "issue", so I am convinced this is really the CS3's sound signature.

I'll probably keep those and use them as my backups in case the Q-Jays die (noooo please no heh).

Thanks again to everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need lots of treble energy to enjoy my music. The "standard" by which I usually judge every other headphones for clarity are the Yuin PK1. Even a low cost headphone like the Sony MDREX75, AKG k414p to name two can provide better upper highs clarity than the Sleeks can with the Treble ++ tips (at least, from my experience, as usual, your mileage may vary). Obviously, they can't touch the Sleeks for those mids.

Consider also the X5s: Excellent mids, treble and lows, a well-rounded IEM currently at an unbeatable half-off price: $125.

And, it's tops in comfort.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 30
umm...maybe you just need to get use to the sound signiture first...at first when I got my Image x10, I also had this problem, I mean $350, I expected something much better than shure e2c...however, after listen to it for a while, everything changed~I am impressed~ ^ ^

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 30
One trick I've discovered that makes the custom 3's fit better is bending the memory wire more to the inside. To do this, look at the earpiece from above then align the memory wire along the "line" that marks where the two pieces of the earpiece come together. Then, bend the memory wire slightly to the inside, this will cause it to stay in your ears better and keep the seal.

BTW, thanks to Klipsch for the two pairs of free ear gels! I just got them in the mail, It took around three weeks for them to arrive. But then that's understandable as i'm on the other side of the world.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 30
Nope, I didn't get to audition them. I just bought them off the shelf from Spectra @ Park Square Makati. From the (relatively few) reviews that I've read about them, I knew I would be happy with my purchase.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 30
You know a strange thing is that, When I had my first pair of Custom 3 I could never get a good fit. I resulted in using trimmed down Shure E4 tips which are great with the C3s.
But when I got my second pair of C3s then all of a sudden the the tips fits better. I was able to use the default medium size and the sound is great. Very strange indeed that it didn't work with the first pair of tips, perhaps there was a defect and they were not sized or cut right?

Anyway I still think Klipsch should move away from the whole Oval shapped tips approach. It may have worked in the labs, but in the real world I see alot of people haveing problems and getting bad initial impressions. Perhaps an alternate round pair of tips should be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back