Custom 2, Turbines, NE8, NE7?
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

D2X2903

New Head-Fier
My budget is around $100 give or take $15. I want the best sound, don't need a mic/control unit.

I like rock and classical, including Staind, Deftones, Coheed and Cambria, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I'm coming from a pair of E3c's and KSC50's.

I've been doing a lot of reading here over the last week and would like ypur opinion of the IEMs in the title. The Turbines might be out of my price range if they have to be bought at an authorized ($150 Amazon) dealer to get warranty service. right now I'm leaning towards the C2's; are the NuForces good enough that I should reconsider? (saving the $30-40 is not a big deal) Should I get the C2's while they're cheap and just forget about these other models?

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what ive read, turbine is geared more towards bass. from ur music genres, it looks like ur looking for more mids and such.

Can't argue with that. I think they aren't necessarily a bad choice for rock but yeah, they might not be the best choice for classical.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Well, if you can give or take $30 the PFEs might be a good choice depending upon your source. I had them and thought they were great for the price, but there seems to be a love/hate for them.

What sound signature do you prefer, warm, analytical, bassy, etc.? What are your current headphones? How much isolation do you want/where do you plan on using them?

I personally can't recommend the NE-7s for rock as I think my PK3s and KSC75s sound better for that genre to me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 13
I have the KSC50s and a dead E3c. I liked the clarity of the E3c but I wish it had a little more bass. I guess I want a neutral to only slightly warm signature at most, but I would like to be able to kick up the bass a bit in EQ every now and then and have the phones respond.

I considered the PFEs but I don't really want to spend $140. I think the Turbines at $105 are about my upper limit.

These will be my main headphones, so I'll use them everywhere from a city bus to planes to just hanging out.

Custom-2s, Turbines, or NE8?

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Let me start by saying I haven't tried any of those you are listing and that I am also in the process of looking and deciding, but those are the ones I am looking at (minus the Turbines). Most folks seem to be steering me to the Custom 2, which are $94 on Amazon right now. FWIW.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 13
I just decided to go with the Custom 2s before Amazon raises the price. Let's see how they are.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 13
NE7 for the bang for the buck!

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I know alot of folks told me the NE7, but after looking at what I wanted out of some IEM and my music, I was steered towards the Custom 2. Can't wait for them to come in. Thanks again to everyone who helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back