Custom-2 Review
Jan 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Amy

Sponsor Klipsch
Just passing along... The Feb 2008 edition of PC Today magazine includes the attached review for the Custom-2 (although I know you're all waiting for the 3s!)

The article is titled The Best New iPod & iPhone Accessories (pg 54) by Blaine Flamig.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 15
I'd say it's more of a preview or 'overview'
smily_headphones1.gif
I can understand you being desperate for favourable attention from press, but there is nigh zero information to be had from this article (sept a vague reference of a good middle range reproduction... does it imply not so good lower and higher end? And we already know it's very comfortable
wink.gif
)
Or you didn't get permission to copy entire article? If it's only an excerpt, you could you please at least highlight comparisons the reviewer made?
For instance, I've been considering buying Westones 2 (Westones 1 I have are great when it comes to comfort and midbass, but higher range reproduction is abyssmal to nonexistant), but your product is quite competitive - custom-2 are DUAL drivers after all, are cheaper, and seemly sport same at least same level of comfort and durability. Now, if sound is same or better - I'd gladly buy your product...
Ok, I guess I'll have to wait for user reviews here.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 15
I just read my first review of the Custom 2s having just leanered about Klipsch. But the review is'nt very possitive.
Hands-on: Klipsch IMAGE and Custom-2 sound-isolating earphones - infoSync World

Quote:

Our experience with the Custom-2’s was less pleasant; we were unable to get any kind of seal in our ears; we even tried (against better judgment) to jam them in farther to get a seal, but progress was stopped by the actual earphone itself (probably a good thing). We also didn’t like the stiff plastic over-the-ear piece; it didn’t fit us properly and was extremely uncomfortable. By holding the phones to our ears with our fingers we were able to get a temporary seal, but we weren’t too impressed with the sound we got. The phones benefited from the noise isolation, but the sound was nowhere near as full as we expect for that price range.

The intention of the review was to compare them with the Image, but they strongly suggest that there is'nt enough difference between the Custom 2 and Image to warrant the $200 price difference.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 15
TJ Max,

Yes, I am familiar with this write-up. It is unfortunate that the author neglected to disclose more information about the circumstances of his listening experience.

I'm typically not one to dispute a review--if they are done fairly, then we accept the outcome and move on. If they are critical, we take them seriously and try to improve upon the product. But this one simply wasn't done fairly, in my view.

First, this was done at a very large press event, which was extremely noisy, and our booth was quite crowed. The press literally had the opportunity to get a proper fit, listen, and judge in less than 60 seconds. As anyone on here knows, the over-the-ear IE models need much more time to achieve the right fit. They didn't even have time try different tips--it's highly doubtful that they had anything resembling a good seal.

Second, he used the iPhone at max volume. We do not recommend anyone do that.

Third, when this write up came out, we contacted the authors to see if they would be willing to receive a review sample of headphones to try over a much longer period of time, and they weren't interested.

We did learn a quick and hard lesson about the headphone business early on, however, and that is how we present the headphones to the press. That part was absolutely our error.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 15
TJ Max, I would not use the infoSync review as reference for anything. It is evident that the reviewer hasn't got a clue when it comes to testing earphones.

I would love to read more about the Custom-2s, but that review mentioned in the first post is far from detailed enough for my liking.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The intention of the review was to compare them with the Image, but they strongly suggest that there is'nt enough difference between the Custom 2 and Image to warrant the $200 price difference.

It's a useless review - ignore it.

Hmm, if Klipsch will send me some Custom 2's I'll be happy to compare them to Images. Of course they're only a half hour drive from me too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TJ Max,

Yes, I am familiar with this write-up. It is unfortunate that the author neglected to disclose more information about the circumstances of his listening experience.

Well thanks for providing the necessary details of the review.
I still have a general interest in the Custom 2, and 3. Where are all the "Fair and Critcal" reviews?
Are each IEM geared for a paticular genre of music? I mostly listen to Orchestral and Jazz with occasional Drum'n'Bass on an MP3 player. Which would be more suited for me?
Can they be compared in anyway to the Westone UM2s?, which are currenty my favorite as far as sound quality so far...

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 15
I've had my Custom 3s for a little while now and have listened to them just about every day and find them to be excellent. I'm using them with the Graham Slee Voyager amp and IPOD and find the combination to sync really well. I tried my Atrio 5s today and found them to be a little muddy in comparison. The Custom 3s are highly recommended.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 15
Did you have any issues with getting the right fit and seal? I've heard alot of concerns about that.
Anyway I've ordered a pair of Custom-3, I should get them by tomorrow according to the tracking info.

Another question that I have is that since Klepsch is located in Indiana, how can they charge sales Tax if I'm in California?

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 15
TJ Max,
We legally must charge sales tax in all states where we have an established facility. One of our distribution centers is in CA.
Thanks for your order!
--Amy

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryM63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to mention that I just posted a new review of the Custom 3 over at Gadgetnutz. The url is: Gadgetnutz
I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can.

Thank you! I also started a new thread for this review so it can be found more easily.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 15
Can anyone that has used the Q-Jays compare the amount of maitenance needed on these,cleaning wise ? Also what is the bass like between the two (major underground hip hop listener here...) I find the bass on the Jays good but could be better.I want something approaching the ESW9's BASS,but not LIKE the overpowering nature of the EB's from UE.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TJ Max,
One of our distribution centers is in CA.
Thanks for your order!
--Amy

Thats good to know since I was thinking of selecting the Overnight Shipping option (assuming shipment was from IN.), and I would have wasted alot of money on shipping that would have wound up to be overnight anyway with the cheaper (free) ground shipping.
Lucky I decided to be cheap and select that one!
wink.gif
And got my IEMs the very next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back