Custom 0404 cable if anyone's interested...
Jan 29, 2005 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

strogg

100+ Head-Fier
yeah. call this a mini-mini-how-to, or call it a stupid journal, or whatever. i've noticed an increase of people wondering what adapters/cables to get, and i figure this to be the final solution to those diy addicts out there:

connectordiagram.jpg

in case you can't understand it...
pin 1: nothing
2: right output
3: left output
4: left input
5: right input
6: right output ground
7: left output ground
8: left input ground
9: right input ground

progress0.jpg

progress1.jpg

cable in progress...

finished.jpg

done!

anyhow, the cable was a cat5e cable which split to a litz braid at the split point. the aux in jack was put in an awkward place, but it works. all i need is to use it for my tv card, so i'm happy. the db9 connector i picked up at radio shack. the rca connectors were from a diy cable i made years ago. i forgot who made them. unfortunately, i can't do an ab test to see which is better (stock + old diy vs new diy) since i kinda destroyed one of the cables
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 20
Very useful, you'll prolly get lots of praise from the guys in the computer-as-source forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 20
I BOUGHT the parts to do this mod, but in the end decided that is wasn't worth the time. Glad to see someone picked up on this easy mod. As was said before post this in the Computer -as- Source forum.

Good Job

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Do you guys think a right angle d-sub hood (picture below) would work in this Custom 0404 db9->RCA cable project. My plan is to use StarQuad or similar type cable with it. I wasn't sure if the exit on the right angle hood had enough space to accomodate the cable compared to a straight-through type hood. Can the pins on the 9-pin male connector accomodate the guage of cable that StarQuad uses? Here is the picture of the hood I'm looking at for this project:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...DataName=D9MTR

Check out the picture above and respond if you think that right angle hood would work for this project or not. Thanks.

Edit: this is their standard straight-through model of hood just for comparison:
http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...?DataName=D9MT

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 20
Should look OK, but is there enough space at the back of the 0404 to put it?

Also have you posted this thread/link to this thread in the computers-as-source forum? There will be loads of people interested in this as the breakout cable of the 0404 is one of it's (only?!) major flaw
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 20
Yep good point. I was just talking to Magsy about this topic and he pointed out that this right angle hood might come in contact with the frame of the case next to the PCI slots and that would not be good. I was thinking someone could start a nice "group buy" of a batch of some of their custom 0404 cables (1212 too?). Make one version as a full on 0404 dsub -> RCA cable and another version as a sinple 0404 dsub -> 1/8 mini female adapter. That second version would be for people that already have nice mini to RCA cables. And maybe make both of those with a single mini input as well. Have not posted this in the other forum.

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 20
Here is something I knocked up a while back..

Maplin 9 pin > Starquad > Neutrik

I messed up the split and need to add some heatshrink there to 'pad' out dip.

I wasted a small section of SQ to use the outer sheath on the y split.

emucable.jpg

emucable2.jpg

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 20
Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. Great job on that Magsy.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver
Yep good point. I was just talking to Magsy about this topic and he pointed out that this right angle hood might come in contact with the frame of the case next to the PCI slots and that would not be good. I was thinking someone could start a nice "group buy" of a batch of some of their custom 0404 cables (1212 too?). Make one version as a full on 0404 dsub -> RCA cable and another version as a sinple 0404 dsub -> 1/8 mini female adapter. That second version would be for people that already have nice mini to RCA cables. And maybe make both of those with a single mini input as well. Have not posted this in the other forum.

The 1212M has built in 1/4" mono connectors. 1212M owners will have no use for this cable.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 20
I wonder about the possability of desoldering the jacks on the 1212m, and solder some starquad in their place, for the same effect, no mechanical connections at all.

-Z

Feb 13, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
I wonder about the possability of desoldering the jacks on the 1212m, and solder some starquad in their place, for the same effect, no mechanical connections at all.

-Z

It'd be completely doable, you'd just have to find a way of securing the cable to the card so that it doesn't get accidentally ripped off somehow.

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 20
Here's the 0404 db9 -> RCA replacement breakout cable that terrymx made for me. 5.5' of Canare StarQuad cable covered with TechFlex, Canare RCA's, one Canare 1/8 inline input on a 5' run. Very nice quality and affordable.

0404db9-terrymx.jpg

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 20
what was your parts cost? btw: i'm interested if you or anyone else would make one of these for me. this design would work well for me. i'll pay of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 20
by the way, go to

https://pr3.pacrad.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...6&lastcat=1246

and you should be able to build one with basic nikel swichcraft rca's, a gold plated 9 pin (make sure you get a hood), canare star quad, and some heatshrink for about $7 + shipping

truth i've learned about ic's: you can make good ones for pretty cheap, or you can make very good ones for very expensive.

anway, much less $$ thank i thought

anyway, i think i'll make three or so and sell or give them away. but i won't be able to do any of that for awhile unfortunately. soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back