Curve appreciation thread
Jun 21, 2004 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SunByrne

500+ Head-Fier
So, I've seen a couple other posters here mention that they're into the band Curve. I didn't realize they were especially popular, so I'm just curious--how many other Head-Fi'ers out there are into the Toni Halliday & Dean Garcia sound? What are your favorite Curve tracks?

Someday I'm going to get a speeding ticket listening to "Hell Above Water"...
basshead.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 18
I have all domestic albums.......so I guess I am a fanatic
icon10.gif

I tried to make Bong jealous in other thread by telling him I just got this super sweet Curve import:

Way of Curve

All Curve albums are at least very good (no lemons) but my favorite is Pubic Fruit which collects the first few early EPs together and has a rawer more energetic quality vs other later albums which I like.
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 18
I've got all of Curve's albums. Favorite tracks:

I really liked Forgotten Sanity until I started listening to the lyrics. Now it just creeps me out.

Dirty High
Killer Baby
Fly With the High
Ice that Melts the Tips
Unreadable Communication

It's funny, I got into Curve because I was really into Garbage and a friend of mine recommended them to me. I didn't realize until later that there was so much anti Curve feelings from the hardcore Garbage fans and vice versa. Hell, I like 'em both. Can't we all just get along?
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I have all domestic albums.......so I guess I am a fanatic
icon10.gif

I tried to make Bong jealous in other thread by telling him I just got this super sweet Curve import:

Way of Curve

All Curve albums are at least very good (no lemons) but my favorite is Pubic Fruit which collects the first few early EPs together and has a rawer more energetic quality vs other later albums which I like.
cool.gif

heh DA, cool looking collection!
biggrin.gif

i never really got into Curve past getting "Pubic Fruit" on cassette a loooong time ago, but as i recall it didn't really make an impact on me as much as other shoegaze bands did. i remember getting it just because Robert Smith recommended it (i'm such a fanboy).

but anyway, this collection does look very cool (kinda reminds me of The Cranes' Vol. 1-2 EP Collection) and i might have to pick up a copy.
biggrin.gif
i wonder if there's any chance of a domestic release? if not i'll just have to pick up a copy when in London...

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 18
The Way of Curve rocks. However, you can get it for a lot less than Amazon if you order it
direct from the UK. Came to like $26 including shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6
It's funny, I got into Curve because I was really into Garbage and a friend of mine recommended them to me. I didn't realize until later that there was so much anti Curve feelings from the hardcore Garbage fans and vice versa. Hell, I like 'em both. Can't we all just get along?
biggrin.gif

This makes no sense to me. I mean, I can see how Curve fans might be anti-Garbage since Curve was first and Garbage obviously has a similar sound, but what could Garbage fans have against Curve? Makes no sense to me. (For the record, I like both of 'em.)

Now hopefully someday I'll get to see Cuve live...

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 18
I saw Curve live by accident back in early 1990's, went to Cocteau Twins concert and opening act was Curve.......I was under Toni Halliday's spell ever since. I had previously heard a couple songs on radio but was sold after live performance. Completely different sound than CT, bloody monsterous wall of distortion over which dark siren Toni floated in and out, she was very animated on stage (like a stalking leopard) atypical of most shoegaze performers.

Really love the shoegaze/female vocal style.......which is also why I really like the 1st three Lush albums also.
cool.gif

I of course also really like Garbage, and first two albums would appeal to any Curve fan although much lighter more mainstream sounding in comparison to early Curve.

SB
I only paid $21 for "way of curve" since I ordered "like new" used copy which is tolerable since it is 2CD with 31 remastered tracks many very hard to find.

Jun 23, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 18
Wow, a Curve/Cocteau Twins show. That'd be fantastic! Too bad CT are no longer together.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 18
Well, you already know I dig 'em, SunByrne. And yes, DarkAngel, that Way of Curve collection is fantastic, it does cull a surprisingly large percentage from some of my favourite every Curve tracks (besides all of them):

Beyond Reach
Unreadable Communication
Coast is Clear (first song I ever heard by them, on a video on eMpTyV's 120 Minutes -- they didn't used to be good for nothing)
On The Wheel (a favourite B-side -- saw them play it live)
Die Like A Dog (my mantra)
Recovery
Cherry (one of the saddest songs ever)

I've been playing that collection quite a bit. I keep thinking to myself, "I have such excellent taste for liking these guys so much."

Dream job: to work at Todal.

Oh, and count me among the people who like both them and Garbage. But Curve did come first. I don't hate Garbage for having success based on the sound that Curve created, I just wish Curve could have the same kind of huge success.

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Garbage is, in some sense, "Curve Lite"; a more poppy and accessible version of Curve. I still like Garbage but it's not a surprise to me that they're more "successful" than Curve--their sound is clearly aimed at that. I salute Dean and Toni for *NOT* going down that road and sticking to the harder, more edgy stuff that, while less popular in general, is even more fun for those of us who are into that kind of sound...

And Dusty raises a good question for the thread related to this: Since Curve isn't exactly getting a lot of radio exposure, how did everyone hear about them?

My story on that is goofy: I kept seeing them in the CD bin at the Tower Records in Atlanta in about 1992, and one of the employees there really gave them a good plug, and I bought Doppleganger without having heard a note of Curve prior to that. Took it home, popped it in the CD player, and that was all she wrote...

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 18
A much better comparison than Garbage would be early Lush albums, had the same shimmering curtain of feeback and female vocals. Lush did change style after 3rd album and group soon broke up, but first three albums are great for any Curve fan.
cool.gif

I did mention I saw Curve in concert early in thier career, also remember seeing video of them on MTV's 120 minutes show long ago which got me interested (Dusty saw them there also I see)

Jun 26, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 18
Chalk up another Curve fan here, didn't realise until looking just now that I have all of the readily available CDs, and that import looks somewhat appealing. Have to say that Come Clean is still my favorite, being my first purchase based on hearing Chinese Burn in a long ago Buffy episode.

Also a big Garbage fan, since I live in Madison it's almost mandatory
smily_headphones1.gif
, I see a lot of comparisons between the two, but it seems tenuous at best to me.

Jun 28, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 18
I was into My Bloody Valentine, Ride and Jesus and Mary Chain during the shoegaze era. Got into Curve with purchase of doppelganger way back in 1993 in cassette format and later bought the cd. It has since become my top 20 recordings of all time.

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Never heard these guys--what's a good album to get for a newbie?

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Other Curve fans may disagree, but I'd recommend Come Clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back