currently the best pc speakers?
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #16 of 34
  yeah don't worry since these speakers are cheaper than the other ones i been looking at i will prolly get these 2 and a monoprice sub, using the logitech sub would be a bad idea.

so i can just get a 6.34mm to 3.5mm cable and connect it from the TRS input to the line out on the e10k? and then get a digital coaxial cable and connect it on the red rca input then connect the other end to the coaxial yellow output?

Why are you using the coaxial output on the E10K? It's not a home theater receiver that has an analog output for the sub, ie, the "x.1" in a surround recording. "Coaxial" just refers to the type of cable, but it can carry either analog audio or digital audio. The L-R ports on CDPs, DACs, and amps, plus the "SUB" port on a home theater receiver, are all analog; the "SPDIF Coax" port is digital.

I checked out Monoprice subwoofers and it looks like the normal way of hooking them up won't work because they don't have any outputs. Normally subwoofers have speaker cable or RCA cable inputs so that you hook them up between the amp and speakers, or the preamp and active speakers, but either way they normally rout the signal back out. The Monoprice sub amplifiers don't do this. You'll need to use a splitter - 3.5mm stereo to RCA, then 1RCA-2RCA splitters, then from there one L-R pair goes to the speakers and another L-R pair goes to the sub.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #17 of 34

Why are you using the coaxial output on the E10K? It's not a home theater receiver that has an analog output for the sub, ie, the "x.1" in a surround recording. "Coaxial" just refers to the type of cable, but it can carry either analog audio or digital audio. The L-R ports on CDPs, DACs, and amps, plus the "SUB" port on a home theater receiver, are all analog; the "SPDIF Coax" port is digital.

I checked out Monoprice subwoofers and it looks like the normal way of hooking them up won't work because they don't have any outputs. Normally subwoofers have speaker cable or RCA cable inputs so that you hook them up between the amp and speakers, or the preamp and active speakers, but either way they normally rout the signal back out. The Monoprice sub amplifiers don't do this. You'll need to use a splitter - 3.5mm stereo to RCA, then 1RCA-2RCA splitters, then from there one L-R pair goes to the speakers and another L-R pair goes to the sub.

god that gave me a headache, this is getting very frustrating for me so i decided i just wanna get 2 studio monitors and connect it to the e10k with a  1/4th to 3.5mm cable, then connect the e10k to my PC via USB. I don't really like heavy bass anyways, so should this put me in a good spot above my current logitech z323 2.1s?

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 34
  god that gave me a headache, this is getting very frustrating for me so i decided i just wanna get 2 studio monitors and connect it to the e10k with a  1/4th to 3.5mm cable, then connect the e10k to my PC via USB. I don't really like heavy bass anyways, so should this put me in a good spot above my current Logitech z323 2.1s?

This Hosa CMP-153 (3.5mm to Dual 1/4' mono plug) cable, $5.99, will connect the E10K to the Monoprice studio monitors.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

Later on you can easily integrate the Monoprice sub-woofer with the Monoprice studio monitors.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 34
The best speakers wil almost always be the ones with the biggest case and membranes you can fit and then the you can look for differences in price-ranges and model series.
Often and almost always a bigger physical speaker form a lower end series will outperform a smaller physical speaker from a higher end series. Size is the one biggest restriction on a speakers over all qualities.

After that the next biggest restriction is passive crossovers, at least in my opinion. Go active if you can, its like comparing a propeller to a jet.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 34
  god that gave me a headache, this is getting very frustrating for me so i decided i just wanna get 2 studio monitors and connect it to the e10k with a  1/4th to 3.5mm cable, then connect the e10k to my PC via USB. I don't really like heavy bass anyways, so should this put me in a good spot above my current logitech z323 2.1s?

An alternative to consider is getting a cheap t-class amp and some passive hifi speakers.

I use a Topping TP20 Mk2 amp (fed from a Fiio E10 connected to my PC) and I use it drive a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. Sounds miles better than any 2.1 speakers I've heard.

The advantages over getting powered studio monitors are that, for the same price you'll be able to get much better quality passive speakers, and you only need one plug socket for the amp, rather than one for each speaker.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 34
  Or look at http://audioengineusa.com/

These have received good reviews

Please don't recommend something you've never heard or owned yourself.
It actually goes against forum rules.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 34
Plenty of options abound... you've already looked at AudioEngine, Vanatoo has some nice speakers with DSP, Emotiva has their affordable Airmotiv series that are worth a look as well. You can also take a trip down to your local guitar/music center and check out all their desktop monitors. Tons and tons of options abound there. Try some out, write down names, then scour craiglist and see what people are getting rid of.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 34

If you mean higher than where the Logitechs used to be, yeah - the middle of the tweeters and midwoofers need to be around ear height.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 34
Note he didn't recommend buying them. Just suggested looking at them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a bad experience with Audioengine and I'm not alone.
Maybe when I read it in a sentence my brain just automatically reads instead "oh hey, take a look at this steaming pile of :poop:, it's great!" 
rolleyes.gif
 call it a 'knee-jerk' reaction 
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #28 of 34
I had a bad experience with Audioengine and I'm not alone.
Maybe when I read it in a sentence my brain just automatically reads instead "oh hey, take a look at this steaming pile of [COLOR=121213]:poop:[/COLOR], it's great!" :rolleyes:  call it a 'knee-jerk' reaction :xf_eek:

Yeah. They do tend to get a little over hyped, IMO, because there is a big fan base of people who have bought them but never compared them to alternatives.

Did you have the A5s and their amp problem? I understand that was a frequent issue for people.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 34
thanks for all the advice guys! i have decided to go ahead and order the e10k and 2 monoprice 5" monitors :D

is my computer desk ok? cus im gonna put the 5" monitors where you see the logitech speakers (gonna take out the logitechs and put them in the closet :p) is it ok to have the right speaker higher up  the way my desk is raised on the right?

also  i notice if i put my cellphone near speakers it causes interference and staticy noises - so is it ok to put my headset close to the speakers? idk if magnets inside them can cause interference, or if cellphones only cause interference because of the signals they draw in.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #30 of 34
Cellphones can interfere with the electronics in powered speakers. Although powered studio monitors may be shielded and less prone to that.

Generally the idea is to have your speakers such that the tweeters are aimed at your ear level for best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back