Currently own EP630. Want to buy Zen Aurvana or UHP336.
Feb 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Grossmeister

New Head-Fier
Everything is in title.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why I want to buy armature - need good isolation. Except EP-630 I also have AKG K518, but they also do not isolate good.
There are my criterias:
1. Isolation.
2. Good fit. I'm using the smallest EP-630's tips, they do not fall out and are very comfortable. So if UHP336 or Zen Aurvana have bigger tips then EP-630 then they will not be good choice for me.
What can you suggest?

P.S.
In my country other armatures are to expensive (for example, the price for ER6 is $200, E4c - $300) and there are not many models.
Zen Aurvana cost $80 and UHP336 - $110.
As I now UHP336 = super.fi 3 = IE-10, so if you can compare Zen Aurvana with some of them it will be also good.

P.P.S.
Now I'm thinking about getting suitable card for PayPal to buy something from abroad, but it can take time, so please do not propose me other models, because I'm not able to buy them anyway.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, in terms of pricing, the Aurvana at $80 seems like a fair price but $110 for the SF3 is a bit much. Also, based on reviews of the Aurvana, it seems that the driver is relatively well tuned across the freq range and the bass may be slightly more present than tha SF3.

Remember, this is based on my readings, not trials.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember the aurvana having bigger tips. I had both the auvana and the ep630. Ended up selling the aurvana...very bloated bass and just underwhelming altogether.

Hmm, seems like I have to exclude Aurvana. Did you try to use EP-630 tips for Aurvana?
About sound quality: I don't think about it now, because, as I know, all armature are better then EP-630, and at current time the main parameter for me is isolation (and fit) - I will use them in subway.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bashot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone UM1? Supposedly very good sound, fit, comfort, and isolation. Check Ebay for a set for ~$110 (are you listing prices in USD? That's an expensive ER-6...)

When I will be able to buy something from abroad ... it will be completly different conversation. But I can get only these 2 (Aurvana and UHP336).
Maybe, finally, I will not buy any of them and will return here after I set up my PayPal account.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 15
the aurvana's aren't that great. and they fail one of the criteria's already, the tips are Noticeably LARGER than the Creative Ep-630. the sound is not very detailed, and the bass is kinda just there and doesn't serve much of a purpose. The Altec Lansing UHP336 is a Vented version and slightly improved of the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3 Studio. I used to own a pair of the UHP336, but gave them to a friend when i got my Se530's. They were VERY VERY good earphones, the tips are very slightly slightest larger than the Ep-630, i used to own the Ep-630 too, and i use the smallest one. (Sold Them to the same friend). Bass could be a bit more powerful, but it's enough for most kinds of music. and $110 is below MSRP already, and that's the same price as the Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3 studio. So Good price for an improved UE SF3.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 15
The RE2 might not have very good isolation (on the level of Ep-630 I believe), but the sq trumps the Aurvana in every way possible. Relative to the RE2, the Aurvana's bass is boomy, doesn't extend as low or as high as the RE2, mids are grainy...list goes on...

You can get the RE2 from head direct for just $100 with free shipping worldwide I believe. So it's a much better deal than the Aurvana.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 15
I would look further than the Aurvana, check out Etymotic/Denon/UE!

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Already bought um1. But they didn't provide isolation level I expected. So now hunting for im716 but still there no one on ebay who is ready to send them to Ukraine.
Also um1's SQ is not very nice, but comfort is perfect.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already bought um1. But they didn't provide isolation level I expected. So now hunting for im716 but still there no one on ebay who is ready to send them to Ukraine.
Also um1's SQ is not very nice, but comfort is perfect.

What's wrong with the UM1 sq?

If you don't like the UM1's sq, then you should be glad you didn't get the Aurvana!

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the UM1 sq?

No highs, no bass (I mean deep). But I like um1's bass more than EP-630 (in fact it is mid-bass), because it is not raised as much as in EP-630. Sound is very detailed, I like this.
In fact I expected such sound after reading head-fi. Just I expected real improvement in isolation compared to EP-630, but I didn't get it.
Quote:

If you don't like the UM1's sq, then you should be glad you didn't get the Aurvana!

Yeah, from what I red on this forum it is really good that I didn't buy Aurvana.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you burned it in?

As I no there is no need to burn in balanced armature earphones.
Quote:

And what are you comparing the UM1 to? If you're comparing it to the EP-630, it might be the bloated bass you're used to?

I'm not comparing to anything, there is just no deep bass and the highs are rolled-off. But if compare to EP-630, I can say that um1 are a lot better in all ranges.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything is in title.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.
In my country other armatures are to expensive (for example, the price for ER6 is $200, E4c - $300) and there are not many models.
Zen Aurvana cost $80 and UHP336 - $110.
As I now UHP336 = super.fi 3 = IE-10, so if you can compare Zen Aurvana with some of them it will be also good.

Very close, but the Altec Lansing differ from the super fi 3 studio and m-audio IE-10. Altec Lansing decided to vent the balanced armature driver in the earphone, so now it has a port/hole in the back. and since they did this, they have enhanced the bass and quality of the sound by a margin. So if you can find them for the same price, i would go with the altec lansing uhp336.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back