Current view on the Mac mini for audio playback?
Aug 20, 2005 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
There are several threads about the Mac mini and audio. However, most the Mac threads seem to be from the time it was released. Time has passed now since then. What are the users' current views on it? Please also post your configuration.

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 6
It seems there's now SPDIF output at all (?). So the audio options would be external USB or Firewire soundcards?

Aug 20, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm running a mac mini via usb to an apogee mini with great results. The dac sounds smoother and darker via usb than the previous airport express set up. Another bonus is no wifi interference (my downstairs neighbor's 1.2ghz phone) with usb. I'm really happy with this system. check out apple.com for $429 refurbed mini's. I also use the mini for Internet radio and playing dvd's.

Aug 20, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Audio aside the mini does suffer from the following problems:

The hard drive is very slow. This results in that beachball popping up all the time, the wait is rather frustrating. Its even started making that dreaded 'marbel dropping on metal' sound that denotes the HD is on the way out!
confused.gif

The resultant heat from the constant working of the HD makes the fan blow full pelt.

I copied 50 CDs of various brands of Jpeg wedding snaps. From the 50 CDs I got 10 with errors. Thats simply poor. The superdrive isnt all that. Plus when its working overtime expect the darn fan to kick in.

I fixed the speed and heat issue by adding an external LaCie HD and booting off it.

I'm glad to see Apple have made it 512mb as standard now. the 256mb was a lame option.

As for audio: I'm ripping my collection to Apple Lossless onto my LaCie and storing it in itunes.

Initially, I had thought I'd be a geek and upgrade bits and bats like the superdrive and the HD but I think I'll leave this be and start to save for the next crop of mac, the so called Mactel breed. The mini would be a fitting present to my kid sister. Someone whos only ever gonna use simple apps or browse the net.

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
There's no direct digital/optical output. That's only on the G5 tower and 17" PowerBook.

... and iMac G5.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back