Current state of computer audio
May 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Oublie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks it's been a very long time since I last configured a computer as a dedicated source for digital stereo audio and I'd like some input and advice regarding a new build or rebuild.

I use an i5 Intel with a single stick of 8gb ram near silent psu and cpu cooler with an Asus strix nvidia 960 for video - fan doesn't activate in 2d windows 10
Foobar dsp

USB dac up to dsd 128 and the gear in my sig.

I'm interested in what I would need to change to accomplish the following

Stable playback with up to dsd 1024 with dsp - I'm aware dsd 1024 is far from common but I'd like to have the power if required.
Electrically quiet or silent usb output
Use nvidia card for dsp processing if possible
Headless playback using foobar remote on android for control

Multiple dsp profiles based on equipment attached.

I have at my disposal minidsp ears for rough audio measurement

An oscilloscope and related equipment

Nearly 40 years computer experience in hardware and software

Old man ears :wink:

Ideas and advice much appreciated folks

May 26, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I did have a post typed up but the forum ate it.

Anyway, I dont think what you want is attainable.

I have no idea if there is programs out there for a gpu to play 1024 dsd.

It boils down to this, is this a wind up ?

If not buy an intona for usb, galvanic isolation etc, corsair ax1500i psu for total stealth, fan only spins when it gets to 50c, or when controlled manually. My one has never spun up on its own, only when i told it to do it.

I would use jriver as a server and jremote, but J ppl are sane and only go up 512dsd, or was it 256 ? Would use that if needing to connect to your server whilst outside, if only using indoors I would use roon.

Stick another 24 gig of ram into your pc and if you have not got a ssd, get one as they are quick at accessing data and wont suffer from buffering much like normal hdds do.

Why do you want 1024dsd when your dac only goes upto 128 ?

Personally, if you plan on using dsd alot, especially past 128, I would go a totally different route.

I would buy something that was capable of streaming whilst also having outputs for speakers or headphones or one or the other depending on your use.

The pc part, for me, that would just be a bog standard pc with jriver or roon, I would rather put my money into the externals, dac/streamer etc, rather than the pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 26, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Dsd 1024 does exist although not necessarily needed. There are dacs that can process a 1024 signal. I would never be able to tell the difference but this is more to do with a computer with the capability to apply dsp to large data files without dropout in the final audio signal.

I've found a couple of vst plugins written for cuda gpus but I'm only beginning to look.

Still looking for info from you guys on what's being done with computer audio thanks.

May 26, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 6
P. S. Matrix audio sabre Pro is dsd 1024 compatible as an example.

May 26, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I did have a post typed up but the forum ate it.

Anyway, I dont think what you want is attainable.

I have no idea if there is programs out there for a gpu to play 1024 dsd.

It boils down to this, is this a wind up ?

If not buy an intona for usb, galvanic isolation etc, corsair ax1500i psu for total stealth, fan only spins when it gets to 50c, or when controlled manually. My one has never spun up on its own, only when i told it to do it.

I would use jriver as a server and jremote, but J ppl are sane and only go up 512dsd, or was it 256 ? Would use that if needing to connect to your server whilst outside, if only using indoors I would use roon.

Stick another 24 gig of ram into your pc and if you have not got a ssd, get one as they are quick at accessing data and wont suffer from buffering much like normal hdds do.

Why do you want 1024dsd when your dac only goes upto 128 ?

Personally, if you plan on using dsd alot, especially past 128, I would go a totally different route.

I would buy something that was capable of streaming whilst also having outputs for speakers or headphones or one or the other depending on your use.

The pc part, for me, that would just be a bog standard pc with jriver or roon, I would rather put my money into the externals, dac/streamer etc, rather than the pc.

Thanks for the info, always preferred foobar just used to it I suppose.

I've been trying out a few things, think I'll look into usb galvanic isolation. I started this thread to get opinions as I've been out of the loop for quite some time regarding computer audio.

So far I've just put foobar remote on my phone, this works well.

Regarding computer noise I've tweaked my computer to run a bit quieter but I will have to look at a better solution. One option might be to run the processor on water with a large fanless radiator, I'll have to play with some old gear I have lying around.

I'm surprised by now that there are no audio orientated motherboard's out there. But I suppose there's no need if you use a dac etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back