Current setup questions wtih computer, and looking for IEM's around $80
Dec 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SheaMolt

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

My questions result from my current setup. I currently have my one of computer's HDMI out going to my monitor and the other to my Yamaha RX-V375, cloned. I use the HDMI when I want to watch movies or listen to music from my computer through my system. This shows on my receiver signal info that I'm running PCM, so I'm assuming the receiver is doing the decoding and I'm getting the best quality possible from that connection.

I don't know how I have it set up, but it works to where my computer audio automatically switches between my sound card (an Xonar DG) and the receiver, depending on whether or not the receiver is on. I like that. Last year I purchased some DT770 pro 80ohms, and I'm running them off my sound card, however, I feel I could get better performance from them with something else. I have also wanted to have the ability to have two audio inputs run at the same time on my computer, such as using an aux input and a microphone at the same time, however, I have yet to find a way with the Xonar DG to do this. I've been thinking about getting the Sound Blaster Z.

So, my questions:

Do I have my receiver connected to my computer in the best way possible? 

Would the Sound Blaster Z provide superior sound to my DT770's over the Xonar DG? Would I be able to have two inputs work simultaneously?

Finally, I'm wanting to introduce my girlfriend to the world of non-apple headphones this Christmas. Are there any IEMs out there for around $80 that you would suggest? She mainly listens to acoustic rock.

Thank you!

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried running the headphones off the receiver?

Shouldn't the receiver be indicating that it is receiving Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 when you are playing the movies? Or do the movies you watch not include multi-channel sound?

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes. I think they sound better coming from the receiver. 

When I play movies from my computer it shows

Format: PCM
Channel: 3/2/0.1
Sampling: 96kHz
Bitrate: ---

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 4
The HDMI port is on your graphics card, is that correct? In that case, I'm not sure who is creating the digital audio stream being sent out the HDMI port. Maybe the video player or the graphics card handles that? Here's something that might help:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/yamaha-amp-showing-pcm-not-dts-dolby.1699948/

I thought the headphones might sound better from the receiver - the receiver probably has considerably more current & power coming from it's headphone jack than from your soundcard. Why don't you just use them that way all the time?

For the IEMs, have you looked through this monster thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-329-iems-compared-tekfusion-twinwoofers-added-12-02-14-p-1008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back