Current production tubes
Feb 25, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll be getting my Woo6 in a couple of days. I've been 'shopping' for tubes, specifically looking at 5AR4/GZ34 and 5U4G rectifier tubes.

Of course, there are many options, from cheap import tubes to NOS metal-based Mullards costing hundreds. I definitely would like to try a Mullard or Bugle Boy at some point, but I would have to get a pretty good deal on one to pull the trigger. The other options, as stated above are the current production tubes, like JJ/Tesla, Sovtek, Groove Tube, etc...

Obviously the NOS tubes are much more desirable, but are the current production tubes decent performers?

I suppose the best way to find out is buy buy some, especially considering that they cost $20, but I'm wondering if any one of these stands out among the group.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be getting my Woo6 in a couple of days. I've been 'shopping' for tubes, specifically looking at 5AR4/GZ34 and 5U4G rectifier tubes.

Of course, there are many options, from cheap import tubes to NOS metal-based Mullards costing hundreds. I definitely would like to try a Mullard or Bugle Boy at some point, but I would have to get a pretty good deal on one to pull the trigger. The other options, as stated above are the current production tubes, like JJ/Tesla, Sovtek, Groove Tube, etc...

Obviously the NOS tubes are much more desirable, but are the current production tubes decent performers?

I suppose the best way to find out is buy buy some, especially considering that they cost $20, but I'm wondering if any one of these stands out among the group.

Stick with the nos tubes. I find the new production rectifier tubes to be poorly built .... in most cases. You dont want a rectifier blowing up in your amp. That aside, I dont think the new production 5u4g's sound nearly as good as the nos tubes.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick with the nos tubes. I find the new production rectifier tubes to be poorly built .... in most cases. You dont want a rectifier blowing up in your amp. That aside, I dont think the new production 5u4g's sound nearly as good as the nos tubes.

That's what I figured, though the amp ships with a current Chinese made 5AR4.

Another question I have is regarding the 5U4G vs the 5AR4:

The 5AR4 has an indirectly heated cathode vs the directly heated cathode on the 5U4G. Does this have a major effect on sound quality?...can the directly heated cathode 5U4g degrade the sound as compared to the 5AR4? Or is it more a factor of getting a quality 5U4G tube?

I'm probably nit-picking, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible to make informed purchases.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 4
People think direct heated tube sound better, though I don't have first hand experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back