Current or Voltage mode Amplifier ? Which is which ? Which should i pick ?
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

silentmoon

Member of the Trade: 3kshop (Vietnam)

I'm about to get this amplifier http://en.questyleaudio.com/article/6 due to its fanstatic look. But the problem here, it is a current mode amplifier,which i don't know how it is different from my Violectric V90. 

I spent times to read. People kept talking about the high impedance output of current mode amplifier, but the distortion is superbly low. So i got a bit confused. 

Can anyone here please, give me a explanation about 2 kinds of amplifying ? Which is better to drive my LCD 3 and XC ? 

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 3
A voltage mode amp will generate a voltage (equal to the input voltage multiplied by the amp's gain) across the headphones. The current that is drawn will depend on the impedance of the headphones.

A current mode amp will generate a current (proportional to the input voltage multiplied by the amp's gain) through the headphones. The voltage drop will depend on the impedance of the headphones.

If the headphones impedance is purely resistive (like your planar magnetic headphones), then both types of amp would produce the same result, so a current mode amp which supposedly has lower distortion might be better.

If your headphone impedance varies with frequency, then a voltage mode amp, given the same input, would provide different current/voltage than a current mode amp as the impedance varies. I would assume that most dynamic driver headphones are designed for use with voltage mode amps, and their frequency response would change if they were used with a current mode amp.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 3
Current oriented amplifiers are much suitable for matching with the low impedance headphones which draw lot of current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back