Current most neutral/accurate IEM?
Dec 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #91 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people hear differently. furthermore, most women prefer headphones with stronger bass like IE8, while most men like er4s, grado sound with stronger highs. it's determined biologically when women get altered with high pitch kid's cry and feel themselves safe hearing husband's bassy voice. men tend to sleep well when kids cry, or hear women's high pitch voice. contrary, bassy notes signal them a danger from other males or outside disturbances. this is opinion based on some data

LOL, I love your honest humor in qualifying your observations! Maybe that's why my wife swoons everytime I start playing Barry White!
beyersmile.png

Sorry, a little off-topic!!

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #92 of 110
Quote:

people hear differently. furthermore, most women prefer headphones with stronger bass like IE8, while most men like er4s, grado sound with stronger highs. it's determined biologically when women get altered with high pitch kid's cry and feel themselves safe hearing husband's bassy voice. men tend to sleep well when kids cry, or hear women's high pitch voice. contrary, bassy notes signal them a danger from other males or outside disturbances. this is opinion based on some data

LMAO some data hehe. I guess those guys in the hood doing laps with 10000w sub amps in the boot are really freaking out. I dnt know if you said this with a straight face or not, but this sounds like pure nonsense to me. just enough substance to make it sound like you might be really basing this on something

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #93 of 110
Quote:

So if I like bass and treble does this mean I'm bi-sexual?

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #95 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Male kids love bass because they admire dad's bassy voice. Right? :wink:

why not, or they try to identify themselves with dady!!! and therefore they like IE8, sorry for ot

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #96 of 110
I got my replacement PFEs back, I'm going to have to say I agree, the UM3x lacks a sparkly high end, but its amazingly detailed nonetheless. The PFE has far more treble and lower bass and reproduces orchestral tracks much more faithfully than UM3x and TF10 (which to me, they were both pretty similar in terms of sound signature).

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #97 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my replacement PFEs back, I'm going to have to say I agree, the UM3x lacks a sparkly high end, but its amazingly detailed nonetheless. The PFE has far more treble and lower bass and reproduces orchestral tracks much more faithfully than UM3x and TF10 (which to me, they were both pretty similar in terms of sound signature).

Really? I keep seeing people posting that the TF10 has amazing treble detail and extension, while they say the UM3X's treble is significantly more recessed than the W3, and the W3's treble to me sounds very muffled and recessed--like a blanket is thrown over my ears. I'd have to push the EQ around 14KHz~16KHz region to get any of the missing sparkles back.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #98 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I keep seeing people posting that the TF10 has amazing treble detail and extension, while they say the UM3X's treble is significantly more recessed than the W3, and the W3's treble to me sounds very muffled and recessed--like a blanket is thrown over my ears. I'd have to push the EQ around 14KHz~16KHz region to get any of the missing sparkles back.

That means that your fit is definitely off with the W3. From what I read, W3 extends all the way up to 17-18 kHz, but that is only possible to hear with custom tips I guess. It should do at least 16 kHz with no/little roll off. If you don't hear 16 properly, the fit is no good for sure. Regarding UM3X and Triple.fi treble, I actually find the two quite similar in extension and overall volume of the treble region, but again, if the fit is good. Quality wise, I find Triple.fi superior - it has more fine detail in the treble than UM3X IMO, but UM3X is no slouch either. Triple.fi also extends maybe just a hair further, but I could hear 16 kHz moderately well with both. W3 treble quality and extension is similar to UM3X, but it just has more quantity I think. If you got a bad fit, the high end may sound rolled off with any IEM. Even with my RE0 which is known or it's excellent treble quality and quantity, I sometimes get muffled sound with certain tips.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #99 of 110
^ To my ears, there was little similarity between the sound signatures of the TF10 and the UM3X, particularly in the area of treble presentation. Treble is more prominent and lively with the TF10, whereas it is subdued by the UM3X.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #100 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That means that your fit is definitely off with the W3. From what I read, W3 extends all the way up to 17-18 kHz, but that is only possible to hear with custom tips I guess.

I don't ever have problems with IEM proper seals. I can get a proper seal with any of the tips, although I prefer the double flange most (triple flange with the smallest one removed). The yellow foamies are nice too, but I don't like having to roll them and wait for them to expand every time I take them out to talk to someone.

The W3's treble is recessed, but it's there--I just have to EQ boost it to make it more neutral. Some people consider the Sennheiser sound to be darker than normal, but even the HD650's treble makes the W3's sound very muffled.

It really pisses me off that Westone refuses to release a frequency graph for the W3 (I asked before and they said no). I think people will be surprised when they see the frequency chart for it. I think they are smart to not release one since it allows people's audiophile tendencies to take over and romanticize its sound--even its shortcomings. They are damn lucky that HeadRoom does not carry their product line, or else the W3's sonic signature would be shown naked in the HeadRoom graph.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #101 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally felt that the TF10's treble wasn't miles ahead of the UM3x or anything like that, but since you might be considering it I wouldn't like to stand by that 100%. I gave my TF10s away to a family member so next chance I have to hear them I will because I'm curious now that I got my PFEs back.

But for sure the UM3x is treble-recessed, and perhaps even more than the W3 based on what people are saying. Oddly enough I still think it sounds "flat."

But right now its PFE heaven for me. TF10 and UM3x definitely fell short compared to them in Orchestral/Jazz Ensemble tracks. For example with a cymbal crash, my PFEs could feel the kick of the bass as well as the refined shimmer of the cymbals. With the others it was more of a smack or higher pitched "thud." They both seem to do funny things with the complex hit of snare drums too, which I couldn't get over.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #102 of 110
^ Is the PFE a balanced armature or a dynamic driver IEM? The reason I ask is that I find dynamic driver IEMs such as the IE8, render cymbals and drums more viscerally compared to their balanced armature counterparts. Cymbals particularly and to a lesser extent drums, tend to sound more "natural" to me when I hear them coming from a dynamic driver IEM.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #103 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Is the PFE a balanced armature or a dynamic driver IEM? The reason I ask is that I find dynamic driver IEMs such as the IE8, render cymbals and drums more viscerally compared to their balanced armature counterparts. Cymbals particularly and to a lesser extent drums, tend to sound more "natural" to me when I hear them coming from a dynamic driver IEM.

I do agree to a certain extent also.

hopefully we would see a dynamic and armature hybrid iem in the near future !
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #104 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree to a certain extent also.

hopefully we would see a dynamic and armature hybrid iem in the near future !
tongue_smile.gif

Well, there are some already - Grado GR8 and Ortofon e-Q7 are the well known examples. I own the e-Q7. I would say that its bass is actually still sounds like that of an armature - very clean and quite powerful, but still without the kind of visceral impact that good dynamic driver IEMs have. However, in the area of mid and treble, I find the Ortofons more similar to dynamics than armatures, particularly in how in renders timbre of instruments. Whether or not that sounds more natural than armature presentation is questionable though.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #105 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ To my ears, there was little similarity between the sound signatures of the TF10 and the UM3X, particularly in the area of treble presentation. Treble is more prominent and lively with the TF10, whereas it is subdued by the UM3X.

Both are quite balanced IMO, but UM3X is more balanced because it has fuller mids. I don't think TF10 has recessed mids though - they are just a bit more laid back sounding to my ears than what I would consider neutral. As for treble presentation, I think Triple.fi definitely has an edge over the UM3X, like I said before. However, UM3X is no slouch either and still extends far in the treble - just a hair less than the TF10. UM3X treble is a little recessed compared to Triple.fi for sure, but just a tiny little bit. I agree that the highs on TF10 are more lively, but I think that has to do more with them being of higher quality than those of UM3X, rather than with them being more prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back