Current King of DAP Sound Quality is...?
Oct 16, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Bunninator

Head-Fier
The Cowon D2.

Now that I pretty much just revealed the correct answer I'm going to open the topic up to discussion and debate anyway. For ***** and giggles!

What MP3 player in production right now is the king of audio quality?

Feel free to add of all time too if you like.

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 74
I highly disagree with the D2 being even lurking the very top of the DAPs. It's fame has been highly inflated here at Head-fi and many other so-called "review" sites who do not know what they're talking about. Just my opinion, there are many others who agree and disagree with me.

In my experience, I would put the iMod and HD30GB9 at the top, but in the end I sold off the iMod due to practicality, utter hate of Creative/Rockbox GUI, and my preference to the general tonal quality of the Kenwood.

I would feel that based on antony's review and his experience with several Kenwood DAPs, the JVC Victor player should also be reserved for the top, along with Trekstor Vibez (based on other ppl's reviews).

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 74
i have the d2 and i would say for the size, it is one of the best, but... it is fatiguing and too 'fun'. it does not present what i am used to hearing as a natural sound.

great for iems as not too much hiss and the size has a great screen and decent battery life. i have never however had even near the rated 52 hours. i usually get about 30 and often less.

as for it being quality - i gave up on the software that came with it as it was using too many poorly written small programs to handle what could be done with one or two. the firmware crashes for me every 2 or 3 weeks. i think it is a great idea, but no followthrough.

just for the size, it is great. but there are so many out there that are better listens.

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could this be the cowon d2 in its original chinese form?

Look at the screen. The menues look just like the cowon.

http://cgi.ebay.de/8-GB-MP3-MP4-PLAY...QQcmdZViewItem

ahaha, "orginal" Chinese form
icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 74
the question is, are we talking stock or modded, becuase we know that the imod is top of the pile, but the ipod unmodded is a bit further down, theres also the fact that theres some daps out there that due to having better starting sound quality then the ipod, with using the line out and an amp, you can get equal sound quality to an imod,

so it was, in pure sound quality,
the JVC is nice, but 6GB is a bit short, but it does come with the line out dock,

and the kenwood, which is the best headphone out player out there,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back