current Jazz?
Oct 10, 2002 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
I love nosing through the old "standards", fantastic stuff I missed out on, and my parents as well for that matter...born too late
mad.gif
but still, the most fun is keeping up with current bands, groups and artists.

so, on that note, what are todays best Jazz artists? I'm looking for some passionate sax playing, great rythm sections, or some blazin' fusion
cool.gif
got my eyes on some of Bill Bruford's work (best drummer ever in King Crimson and Yes, and supposedly a great Jazz drummer as well). perhaps some Marcus Miller.

other suggestions?

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
Braver, I started a similar thread some time ago, there are some great rec's in there:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7742

Yes, that is a great thread, with some excellent recommendations. I would like to repeat some here, and make some additional ones of my own:

Joe Lovano - "Trio Fascination" (Blue Note)

Scott Colley - "Magic Line" (Arabesque)

Ben Allison - "Third Eye" or "Riding the Nuclear Tiger" (Palmetto)

Dave Douglas - "Magic Triangle" or "Leap of Faith" (Arabesque)

Marty Ehrlich - "Can You Hear a Motion" (Enja)

Masada (Zorn's more mainstream quartet) - "Live in Sevilla" or "Live at Tonic" (Tzadik)

Myra Melford - "Above Blue" (Arabesque)

I especially recommend Ben Allison (check out his new CD, "Peace Pipe"), Myra Melford (one of the best composers in New Music/Free Improv, and a great arranger/pianist, to boot), Marty Ehrlich (he's never made a bad record, plays a host of reeds, and has played sideman on countless records. Check out his recent "Song," also on Enja).

I saw David S. Ware's name pop up, too. He's just put out a CD called "Freedom Suite," which is his version of the Sonny Rollins composition/album. Ware's playing is other-worldly and imposing; Matthew Shipp plays in his quartet, as does William Parker.

If you hear and like Tim Berne's "The Shell Game," I also recommend that you try to find all of his other stuff. He now generally puts out his own records on Screwgun, which is his own label. He's a great improvisor, arranger, and bandleader who should not be missed.

These are just the tip of the iceberg, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back