Current headphones are close, but no cigar. What next?
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I've been teetering on whether or not I want to keep these NAD Viso HP50s for a while, but it's really starting to lean toward not. The main reason being they are ear warmers, and hot ears are really uncomfortable to me, even though the fit is nice. They sound pretty awesome, obviously, or else I wouldn't have to debate keeping them or not. Although I have to adjust the equalizer a lot depending on which song is playing much more than I would like.

So, I'm hoping for headphones similar to the HP50s but without the drawbacks it brings to me. Looking for headphones that have excellent sound (of course!), that I can wear comfortably for long periods of time, that hopefully wouldn't need a lot of EQ tinkering. These are difficult traits to find described in headphone reviews, I know. But what headphones should I take a look at? I was originally going to say closed headphones only but I wonder if open headphone would be better to combat hot ears.

Budget is $350, but I'm fine with staying down to $200 or $250.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 9
You're in wonderful luck, most of the good-sounding audiophile-oriented headphones talked around these parts are open.  Open headphones with velour pads will not heat your ears up at all.  I've not heard the HP50, but I wager a good starting point for an open headphone for you would be something like an HD598.  It's a good all-rounder, although a bit too cold for my tastes.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Open headphones might take some getting used to. Or not. I don't know. I had the HD-555s for a long time and those served me well. Are all closed headphones usually big ear warmers?

Also should mention I do all my listening on my computer and have a magni/modi.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't heard the HP50s either, but I've seen them, and they look pretty toasty! Full size closed headphones, especially with pleather pads get sweaty fast. I would also recommend looking into some open Sennheiser headphones (hd 600, 650), and find the sound signature that suits you. I own the HD600s, and my ears stay cooler after long listening than my Dt770s!

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the info. Do they still manufacture HD-600/650s or are have they become a little scarce and higher priced?

I somewhat remember hating the HD-580s but that was around 11 or 12 years ago.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 9
  Thanks for the info. Do they still manufacture HD-600/650s or are have they become a little scarce and higher priced?

I somewhat remember hating the HD-580s but that was around 11 or 12 years ago.

Really, the key is pleather vs velour on the ear pads.  I won't even purchase a headphone that uses pleather (or leather).*

* That's not counting exceptions such as direct-foam like Grados.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 9

Really, the key is pleather vs velour on the ear pads.  I won't even purchase a headphone that uses pleather (or leather).*

* That's not counting exceptions such as direct-foam like Grados.
wink.gif

This. My closed back DT770s (velour) and open back Grado SR-225is (foam) are quite comfortable in the heat. My Sennheiser HD280Pros (pleather) are tiny ovens for my ears, only wearable in winter time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back