current Doors CDs going away soon...
Apr 15, 2006 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xixco

Head-Fier
whether that's a good thing or bad thing is totally up to you

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi...eut/index.html

cliff notes: celebrating 40th anniversary, lots of projects are announced for later in the year, including new CDs w/5.1 DVD versions and lots of other stuff (merchandise, etc.)

this might make me get the Complete Studio Recordings i've been putting off for some time now...

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 11
It doesn't sound like they're getting rid of the current remasters. They're combining them with the new 5.1 remasters in a different box set. Also, there will be a vinyl box set. I have no doubt that you will still be able to buy the studio albums individually.

(Listening to Waiting For The Sun right now...)

Paris Hilton wears Doors t-shirts. Woopdeefreakindoo.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 11
i thought it definitely sounded like they were fazing out the old records.

Quote:

Naturally, a rollout of the Doors' studio albums also plays into the birthday plans. By September, Rhino/Elektra will delete the existing Doors' catalog to make way for a 12-disc boxed set, priced at $149.98.

Quote:

In January 2007, the studio albums will individually come out as double discs with the remastered original and the 5.1 DVD version.

lets just hope they do a good job with the "re"mastering

it kind of makes me sick that they are selling the band so hard. its crazy that music can be so much about shirts and games and books and movies and brand names, and symbols, and icons. isnt it really just music?

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 11
What sort of "remastering" do the Doors albums need? All the Doors albums I have (which includes "American Poet" and does not include "LA Woman") sound wonderful on vinyl. A direct tape-to-CD transfer would be most desireable. The low amount of noise on the tapes wouldn't be able to be picked up by most average stereo systems anyway - and us audiophiles have systems good enough that they better separate floor noise from actual audio, and us audiophiles also know that noise-filtering destroys the life of the recording.

I will not buy the vinyl reissues, nor the CD ones. They will both sound like utter crap. And now they're disgracing The Doors' name by "mixing" it to 5.1...
rolleyes.gif
I'm not happy with this at all.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 11
Any idea if the 5.1's will be hi-rez SACD/DVD-A, or just DD/DTS?

But that reminds me, I should put The Doors on my Netflix queue. It was pretty good as I recall.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 11
yeah, i'm kinda worried that they'll murder the sound of the new releases (if it turns out they are redoing them), so i didn't make a "new Doors remasters in the Fall!!" title --- b/c i'm not excited but rather leery.

at the same time tho, to date have any DVD-As come out with the infamous squashed sound most CDs have now? If not, maybe there's a chance that the DVD releases will have a decent stereo mix on them... maybe...?

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
i thought it definitely sounded like they were fazing out the old records.

The article mentions a "remaster" but does not say if it is a new remaster or the current one.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Any idea if the 5.1's will be hi-rez SACD/DVD-A, or just DD/DTS?

That article didn't say. What was quoted above (props to rhythmdevils) was about the only information given.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
The article mentions a "remaster" but does not say if it is a new remaster or the current one.

umm...they used the word "delete". i dont think they could have been any more clear.

anyone know aything else about this?
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
umm...they used the word "delete". i dont think they could have been any more clear.

anyone know aything else about this?
confused.gif

Yes. The studio albums will no longer be released in their current form, but as double albums with the standard mix and a 5.1 mix. In that way, they are deleting the current catalog, but the still may use the current remaster for the 2 channel mix. I don't see the point of remastering the albums yet again when there is a perfectly good remaster out now.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 11
If they are going to the trouble of doing a new 5:1 mix, it's not a heck of a lot of work to just output new 2 channel mixes at the same time. The labels think that re-EQing to remove 60s style thinness on the vocals, and adding new digitial reverbs replacing wire reverbs and tape slaps is an improvement. They also are able to correct any generation loss in mixdowns as they remix.

The downside is that the music no longer sounds like the song you remember. But if they delete the old version, you'll have nothing to compare to, so you'll never realize that, right?

They'll get one of the surviving band members to cough on the console, and they'll call it under his "personal" supervision. It worked for the Stones, why not the Doors?

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back