Current Best Value - REO for $80 or TF10 for $170
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also not saying the TF10 is king either. It is largely unflawed though.

Err, the absent mids, head-scratching design and thumping bass?

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #17 of 28
The mids are perfect. The whole presentation is slightly recessed/closed in though, but I blame its dynamics for this, not frequency response. From my testing, I find the frequency response nearly ruler flat from 100Hz up to 3kHz with a rising response up to around 3dB by 15kHz (limit of my hearing). Tip choice will affect this. A Comply foam can cut down on the highs. It rolls off from 100Hz down around -6dB by 50Hz(my testing, my ears).

The midrange, nor the presentation just isn't in your face like a lot of earphones.

The bass is thumpy only because of the roll off on the bottom end. It's rather abrupt right at 100Hz rather then a more common shallow roll off. The cut makes for the odd sound. An EQ boost on the bottom end will extend the response lower and that "thump" goes away when the other information that should be there is there in equal intensity. You just need a narrow enough EQ width so you're not touching 100Hz plus and introducing a midbass bump in the process. Frequency response plays a lot of perceptive tricks.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 28
I have both. I love RE0, but find the mids, while forward to my ears, rather dry overall. I am just starting to warm up to TF10, after having them for about 6 weeks. They are uncomfortable, but for me they are pretty picky trying to find the right balance between isolation and SQ. I am currently using the large double flanges from the RE0 and using a shallow insertion. This tames the bass and makes the highs more to my liking. It also further recesses the mids, but I don't find them as recessed as others do when I am using more isolating tips, such as sony hybrids. I must say that I like MVW2's concept of increasing bass below 100hz. I use my TF10s mostly on my rockboxed ipod 5.5g, and have been doing just that. I actually thought I was crazy at first, but then realized that it was probably rolling off severely, just as MVW2's tests show.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 28
I would recommend RE0 from what I've heard, as you see I have a few headphones not many
smily_headphones1.gif
but then again I'e chosen them carefully after much research,I would say the RE0's have amazing neutrality, but they sound nice with Prodigy also, do you understand what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 28
Re0 30 day money back guarantee FTW

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 28
Love my RE0s. Haven't heard the TF10s yet but for $80, I don't think you can go wrong with the RE0.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 28
I have a set of TF10 from the sale remolded by Fisher Hearing. In stock form they have horrible fitment. I could never get a good seal. In comparison the RE0's just don't sound quite as nice. They do, however, fit perfectly right out of the box. For this reason, and the RE0s costing half the price, make an easy decision in my mind.

Now, after having custom molds for my TF10s the fit is simply amazing. I have never gotten this much isolation and sound is great!

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #25 of 28
I've owned both, and I vastly prefer the RE0. (YMMV.)

The RE0 isn't without its flaws, but at identical prices I'd still have a much easier time living with it. A $90 difference? RE0 hands down.

Edit: That said, if you liked the TF10s and think their sound is worth $170, just buy another set. The RE0s have a very different sound from the TF10s and there's a decent chance that you wouldn't like 'em if you enjoyed the TF10s. Just sayin'.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the RE0 lacks a lot relative to something like the TF10. The RE0 was one of those earphones that is fundamentally really good but blatantly lacks certain capabilities. The frequency response is great, well extended on both ends. The sound is quite natural, slightly warm, slightly dark to my ears. However, the RE0 is also horrible with sound stage presentation with no real locational cues. It's also very light on dynamic range, high detail but subtle with energy and breadth of energy. It's very constrained dynamically. Amping helps, but it simply isn't an effortless earphone. This makes it easy to listen to though, non-fatiguing, however, it also makes it hard to convey energy and emotion. An earphone needs to convey subtlety and an explosion of energy equally well. So few are really capable of doing so. The RE0 is not one of them. As much as I never hear it, the RE0 also is slightly flawed on the highs. The sensitivity is there and output is well extended, but the top end response is more random noise then coherent information. It's something I notice readily, but I don't ever see anyone else complaining. I can't say why.

I know why people like it, but I don't know why many people think it's as good as some of the other products out there.

I'm also not saying the TF10 is king either. It is largely unflawed though.

A lot of the choice comes down to personal preference. When I compare and review earphones, I typically try to keep personal interest out of the equation as best I can. I'll speak of raw sound and raw capability. I'll speak of good qualities and of flaws. I'll typically toss in opinion, but I'll try to label it as such. Personal preference comes into play in order to like or dislike a product, flawed or not. A LOT of people like the RE0, but I personally don't consider it to be close to the same level as the TF10. I just see the RE0 as very likable and without offending faults.

I like your reply as it seems honest. I'm just about to enter IEM land and am partial to the Senn 600-650 (Koss PortaPro for portable) sound. I am on the verge of buying the RE0s due to the value pricing but would pay a bit more for something that produces better bass/soundstage (from what I have read). I do not like overly bright cans but bass/detail/vocals/guitar are important. asking a lot I know but what are your thoughts?

Quote:

Don't mean to sound rude but can those who only have the RE-0 not keep recommending that phone over others they have not heard.

Probably a bit misleading to those looking for accurate information.

Couldn't have phrased it better and glad I didn't have to
wink_face.gif
being one of those looking for that accurate info! Can we hijack just a bit and get a couple of other contenders in?

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 28
RE0's soundstage is not bad at all I don't think.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 28
Thanks for all the replys. I will be trying the RE0 given that it has a 30 day return. I would have to be pretty impressed to keep it though. Still weighing the re-shell option for the TF10 and what value is there. I do like the thread though, I think alot of folks are looking for the best bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back