Current best smartphones for audiophiles?
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 30
I am not an IEM user,so I really do not know if your particular IEM would maximize what the G6 or V20 can do.

Your best bet is to ask in this thread here

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 30
Thanks for the replies all. I was actually looking into the LG V20 too. Unfortunately, the newer G6 (US version) seems to have an inferior audio solution in comparison. I understand that lossless with a portable dac/amp is the best way to go, but I am not ready to go down that rabbit hole at the moment. I am just looking to upgrade to a new smartphone with a high quality onboard audio.
Buy V20 or wait for v30... It's coming soon..plus who knows if g7 will come with dac if u r not in a hurry

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 30
I agree with the other folks. The 650s driven by a phone will be okay but nothing like a proper computer desktop setup. I too have a better than average phone the LG v-10 and like the comments on the V-20 it is a better sounding source than many other phones. This is especially true with harder to drive higher impedance cans.

As for the person asking about iems and the v series. If you have a 3 pole plug (no mice) it will activate the separate dac and amp. And yes even with my $30 RHA iem it sounds better.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 30
So here it goes.
After lots of confusions and doubts i finally bought LG G6 with quad dac version and bought SOUNDMAGIC E80C earphones with it.
There is that change when using the high impedance earphone.
All instruments can be heard distinctly.
All guitar strings can be heard well especially when guitarist plucking the strings of acoustic guitar.

Its like i have entered a new phase of music.
Thanks to everyone here for helping me out and bearing my question and Special thanks to Juan Carlos Bagell of Pocketnow to change me into new direction of music listening by picking up the quad dac version

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 30
LG V10 or LG V20. Nothing out there comes remotely close to these babies.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #25 of 30
So here it goes.
After lots of confusions and doubts i finally bought LG G6 with quad dac version and bought SOUNDMAGIC E80C earphones with it.
There is that change when using the high impedance earphone.
First, apologies, I did not know the G6 now has a worldwide quad dac variant. And did they do something with the HF dac/amp activation since on my V-10 for example, it will not be activated with a 4 pole plug like on the Soundmagic 80c? Or do you have the regular 80 without mic?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #27 of 30
First, apologies, I did not know the G6 now has a worldwide quad dac variant. And did they do something with the HF dac/amp activation since on my V-10 for example, it will not be activated with a 4 pole plug like on the Soundmagic 80c? Or do you have the regular 80 without mic?

I have microphone version with 4 pole and yes it activates quad dac high impedance since it is 64ohms

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #28 of 30
I will politely disagree,the SQ of the LG V20 and its quad DACs is really quite good,not to mention that it can actually decently drive a pair of AKG K240 sextetts,something that many desktop amps struggle with.

My only beef with it is that the 600ohm boost is automatic,it wouldve been nice to get the extra juice on demand.

I think what he was saying is that you have to spend more than you would on a totl cellphone to get headfi quality distinction. If you check totl daps you will notice it costs way more.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #29 of 30
Thanks for the replies all. I was actually looking into the LG V20 too. Unfortunately, the newer G6 (US version) seems to have an inferior audio solution in comparison. I understand that lossless with a portable dac/amp is the best way to go, but I am not ready to go down that rabbit hole at the moment. I am just looking to upgrade to a new smartphone with a high quality onboard audio.
Import one from South Korea or Australia. Model number h870ds. They have the quad DAC which is very similar to the v20. I've got the Aussie version and it is very clean sounding. Best of all they are being aggrrssively discounted as they havent been selling well. I picked mine up for a bit over A$500 from a reputable grey importer, qu_au on ebay last week.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back