Current best portable cassette player
Jun 26, 2003 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a large selection of cassettes that have music on them that I don't have on CD or minidisc.

I also have an old Aiwa portable cassette. Sound not that great.

What is the best portable player out there now, soundwise? Where can I get it?

Jun 26, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know if Sony still make any of those Quartz Direct Drive tape walkmen... they were always good...

Else for the exotic side of the scale, its gotta be the WM-D6C... as old as the hills, but still a well respected, and well sort after deck... bit big though
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I don't know if Sony still make any of those Quartz Direct Drive tape walkmen... they were always good...

They don't
smily_headphones1.gif
Cassette enthusiasts are severely crippled these days by the lack of good equipment.

Just to make myself clear (and prevent prolonged bashing sessions
tongue.gif
), the reason current equipments don't sound good is the lack of precision in their mechanism. Inadequate torque to transport the tape, small capstan and roller, azimuth woes. I had some recent Panasonic players that fluctuate in speed on every half-turn of the reel, and sounded drastically different on sides A/B as well.

Sony touted the EX2000 as a high-quality player, but I haven't seen any reviewer who finds it comparable to the high-end Sonys from a few years ago.

Quote:

Else for the exotic side of the scale, its gotta be the WM-D6C... as old as the hills, but still a well respected, and well sort after deck... bit big though
frown.gif

These exotic ones might be your only choice now, because good cassette players are no longer made in small packages
frown.gif
The D6C, however, is expensive... I think it's at least $200 for a used one on eBay. There's also the cheaper D3, which may still set you back $150.

Jun 27, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 15
hi fred

if your tapes are premastered, i'd suggest you not to go overboard and buy expensive rare ones since those units only gets their maximum sound quality only if you'll make vinyl/cd dubs to metal tapes using a decent deck. if you can try to get the wm-ex1 or ex2, you'd get the optimum sound of your tapes. which reminds me, this is also a good deal.
however, if you can crank the cash and swing for the wm-dd9 (top) and the d6c, you'd have a long wonderful (and more addicting than digital) analog road ahead of you (more $$$). also, aiwa greats to consider are the jx2000, jx3000, and the px1000.

fun read here.

happy shopping!!!

Jun 28, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 15
DD9 Enough Said!

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 15
It has to be a portable one. I have three home decks that are pretty good.

Don't need a recorder.

Under $150

Jun 28, 2003 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 15
I hope I'm not posting something sacrilegious... I realize that the older cassette portables don't compare to what's being produced these days. But since I'm in the market for a recordable cassette Walkman, I was wondering if either of these newer 2003 models (listed below) are worth their rather expensive price tags? They both seem to boast a dazzling array of features and have very attractive styling designs. But naturally as always the key issue is sound quality! I'm curious... I wish there were some reviews floating around the net on either of these units.

SonyStyle USA - WM-GX788:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...uctSKU=WMGX788

AIWA Hong Kong - HS-JL958:
http://www.hk.aiwa.com/eng/product/p.../hs-jl958.html

Jun 28, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 15
fredpb, I bought the Sony WM-FX521 Walkman Digital Tuning AM/FM Stereo Cassette Player about a year ago from SonyStyle.com for $100.00USD with free shipping. I've seen it for $10.00-$15.00 cheaper around the Web though if you were interested. I wasn't completely blown away by it but I suppose it does what it should and also seems to be built solidly using a metal type casing. Unfortunately, it did not come with a case since Sony does not offer one for the model and the earplugs are not the best in my opinion.

BTW - I recently found a merchant on the Net selling various hard to get Cassette Walkmans, and also some Import versions unavalible in North America. I'm sure it's not new to most on this forum maybe including you as well but I figured I'd post it anyway: http://www.aaaprice.com/players.html

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Io_Sono
[...] But since I'm in the market for a recordable cassette Walkman, I was wondering if either of these newer 2003 models (listed below) are worth their rather expensive price tags? They both seem to boast a dazzling array of features and have very attractive styling designs.[...]

The recording frequency response of these models generally don't go above 7kHz, so they definitely don't compare to the Sony D3 or D6C for music recording
tongue.gif

Out of that list (http://www.aaaprice.com/players.html),I'd pick either the Sony EX9 or the EX900 (a cost-reduced version of the EX9). No volume dial on the unit, but the models after them often saw further cost reductions, and that means they're on the sucky side for sound.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Wow so pricey still for a EX9?!? It used to be only $130CAD for a refurbished one downtown Toronto... oh well...

The only cool thing about the EX9 is that the color changes with angle and surrounding lighting...

Jun 29, 2003 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Speaking of portable cassette recorders,I have a Sony WM-GX90 Casette Recorder/Player with advanced heads, gumstick rechargeable battery and synchronis motor. Several years ago I replaced the motor but then the volume control went and it only plays loudly with distortion. Does anyone know who can repair this piece reasonably? It is in otherwise excellent condition and was about $300 new. No one locally, New York/New Jersey will touch portables. Thanks. Fred

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
Wow so pricey still for a EX9?!? It used to be only $130CAD for a refurbished one downtown Toronto... oh well...

The only cool thing about the EX9 is that the color changes with angle and surrounding lighting...

Can't you see I'm being polite with my language?
tongue.gif
So much for that being a virtue
tongue.gif
I actually had an EX9
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 15
>.<!!! hehehe

Well the remote is cool too, I think it's the same as the EX7?

I used to have an EX7 that looks like a gin / whiskey bottle that drunks carry around, it even has a circular button at the top to simulate the cap lol!

Yeah Sony's cool, making products that imitate other products...

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 15
my last 2 cassette walkman units were the WM-FX2 and the GX654 :p

has anyone had any experiences with the GX822? I so wanted that unit a couple of years ago, but I believe it was never for sale outside Japan, hence I never got to see it
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back