Current best bang for the buck dac amp combo for $200 or so?
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered in an atom amp from jds labs last night after reading tons of good things about it but I can return it if there's something better. The impression I get is that a good dac to go with it would be either a grace design sdac, a shiit modii 3, or one of the topping brand dacs if budget permits. Am I on the right track? I just want something that sounds as good as possible without spending a fortune that I can plug most phones into without significant compromise on sound quality. Current phones are denon ah-d7000, philips x2hr, and yuin pk2 but I may splurge on something high end again some day. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Schiit Modi.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you for the reply. Do you think the multibit option is worth it or should I just get the base model?
Base model should be fine.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Modi 3 is fine as is a Khadas Tone Board both the same price most of the time but the Khadas is just the board with no case but 4 little legs connected to the board and I kinda like it that way but a case can be had for like $15 on Ali Express. I think the Khadas might be a tad bit better but it is not by much so either would be fine. As for the Multibit on a Modi I have to say I’m not sure as I believe I have only heard it once and really can’t remember at that but do like the Schiit Multibit sound as I had a Jotunheim with Multibit dac on loan from Schiit for a meet I had and did like that dac/amp quite a lot and I also own their big daddy Multibit a Yggdrasil which I just love.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the advice. The jds atom and shiit modi3 with black finish are ordered and will hopefully be here soon. Looking forward to trying my first separates setup!

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the advice. The jds atom and shiit modi3 with black finish are ordered and will hopefully be here soon. Looking forward to trying my first separates setup!
They are solid performers.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 10
The new stack is set up and currently pumping out some jams into my x2hr's. I've had an external headphone amp before but not an external dac AND amp. Not sure which pice of equipment is doing it or if it's both but the stereotypes are true. Bass tightens up and everything gets clearer. The headphone out on my onkyo receiver was actually surprisingly decent and I enjoy it but it's pretty clear that having dedicated components with enough power and almost nonexistent distortion can make a difference. I'm going to have to get used to this. It's like sounds are flying around and zooming in towards me and I can hear all the little things in the background I never noticed before. What a trip. Thanks again for the help :smile_phones:

PS- if anyone out there likes primus then x2hr with this amp and dac is the setup. drums and bass are on the money.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 10
The new stack is set up and currently pumping out some jams into my x2hr's. I've had an external headphone amp before but not an external dac AND amp. Not sure which pice of equipment is doing it or if it's both but the stereotypes are true. Bass tightens up and everything gets clearer. The headphone out on my onkyo receiver was actually surprisingly decent and I enjoy it but it's pretty clear that having dedicated components with enough power and almost nonexistent distortion can make a difference. I'm going to have to get used to this. It's like sounds are flying around and zooming in towards me and I can hear all the little things in the background I never noticed before. What a trip. Thanks again for the help :smile_phones:

PS- if anyone out there likes primus then x2hr with this amp and dac is the setup. drums and bass are on the money.
Well for Primus I’ll stick with my HE-500’s and balanced from my HiBy R6Pro .

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Well for Primus I’ll stick with my HE-500’s and balanced from my HiBy R6Pro .
Maybe I got a little carried away lol. I way truly impressed for the first time in awhile and just happy with my purchase suffering from a case of permagrin. Something else happened after that though. I kind of forgot about my denons ah-d7000 for some reason. The pads and headband wore out and I had them set aside thinking about getting something new. It's weird because I already had a perfect wife but the new girl was...new. I just plugged the old lady into my new setup and holy crap. Apparently I just wasn't treating her right. I'm going to finally fix the headband and make them comfortable again since they sound almost perfect now. I always assumed they couldn't possibly need more power because of the low impedance but apparently it matters. I liked them quite a bit before but but my love is renewed. I might still get some new phones just for fun but it's going to be tricky getting a real upgrade without spending a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back