Curious headphone issue ...
Jul 9, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #16 of 20

Because according to what I have read in reviews, I would probably enjoy the sound of the FSP more. The HP50 was at the top of my list in its category until I did more research. Both are excellent, at any rate. If you see my full wish list, you'll know that I have no qualms about buying tons of headphones! ^_^

I wish I could test out the FSPs. When it comes to these great headphones, sound is not what worries me, rather comfort. Over the past two weeks, I've drawn up something of a list too -- I'm a budding audiophile snob.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #17 of 20
  I wish I could test out the FSPs. When it comes to these great headphones, sound is not what worries me, rather comfort. Over the past two weeks, I've drawn up something of a list too -- I'm a budding audiophile snob.

Budding snob, meet elitist megalomaniac!
evil_smiley.gif

Lesson #1: Sound quality is paramount! ...But closed-back portable dynamic headphones don't begin to approach the refinement of something like an electrostatic system, so it doesn't matter as much.

As for comfort, I'm looking forward to wearing the Sennheiser HD 800s.

If you'd like to share your list on my thread, you're welcome to it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 20
Funny you should ask -- i just got the HP50s today and unboxed them tonight. I've been trying them out for the past hour or so. My initial impressions are that they sound very good but will probably be a no go in the comfort department. Unlike the Momentums, the discomfort is not so much at the ears but at the "Frankenstein" band exerting pressure in a concentrated area at the top of my head. It's a shame. I can't seem to find a good closed back option which fits me well. 

I compared the HP50s to the HD598s and preferred the former. While the HD598s sound good, I've never been wild about how they sound and wonder if an amp/DAC would be the antidote. I have to decide whether I will keep them or return them by Wednesday. On The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel, the voices sounded so much closer and robust through the HP50s (like the folk pair was right there) than they did through the HD598s. I wonder if it's a closed back vs. open back thing. Of course the HD598s are so darn comfortable. I just wonder if some gain will make the sound much richer, not to suggest it necessarily sounds bad now, just not entirely what I'm looking for. 

As for work letting me try out my headphones, not so much ...

A few days ago, I had a sit down with my boss. He was alerted by corporate to my high-end headphone spending habits. He was understanding but it behooves me to throttle back for now. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #20 of 20
  Funny you should ask -- i just got the HP50s today and unboxed them tonight. I've been trying them out for the past hour or so. My initial impressions are that they sound very good but will probably be a no go in the comfort department. Unlike the Momentums, the discomfort is not so much at the ears but at the "Frankenstein" band exerting pressure in a concentrated area at the top of my head. It's a shame. I can't seem to find a good closed back option which fits me well. 

I compared the HP50s to the HD598s and preferred the former. While the HD598s sound good, I've never been wild about how they sound and wonder if an amp/DAC would be the antidote. I have to decide whether I will keep them or return them by Wednesday. On The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel, the voices sounded so much closer and robust through the HP50s (like the folk pair was right there) than they did through the HD598s. I wonder if it's a closed back vs. open back thing. Of course the HD598s are so darn comfortable. I just wonder if some gain will make the sound much richer, not to suggest it necessarily sounds bad now, just not entirely what I'm looking for. 

As for work letting me try out my headphones, not so much ...

A few days ago, I had a sit down with my boss. He was alerted by corporate to my high-end headphone spending habits. He was understanding but it behooves me to throttle back for now. 

Awesome possum! My headphones are extremely comfortable, but aren't up to par in most other categories. (My only complaints regarding comfort are the left driver pushing into my outer ear - most likely due to the ear pads deteriorating - and the sweating and subsequent high body temperature caused by the seal.)

Do you just use an iPhone and laptop to listen to headphones? Nothing else?

Umm...it would appear that you are in an oppressive corporate environment. What business is it of theirs what you spend with your own hard-earned money?! What did he say, if you don't mind me prying? Was it just about returning things after buying them? If you really want to grind their gears, you could try out more headphones with the discount, returning all but the one you deem best - as is your right as a consumer! (Then again, employees give up certain rights, so it may not be the best idea.)

Technically, sub-$500 headphones aren't high-end, but mid-fi. Specify this next time it's brought up!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and when I said try out before, I meant bringing in your source and auditioning in-store, not buying/returning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back