Curious about Antique Sound Labs kits and speakers
Oct 19, 2002 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
Sorry, I've just edited the headline, I meant to say Antique Electronic Supply and not ASL. Sorry, please let me know if you have some information.

----

They have two amps, the monoblock K-501 and the stereo K-502 at http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scri...H_TREE02=AUDIO . I was wondering how good and simple they are. They also have full range speakers here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scri...REE01=SPEAKERS

Are these amps and speakers a good choice for the budding audiophile on a (small) budget? I know the company is mentiones mostly for tubes and stuff, but I have to say that such a tube amp for so cheap is very atractive. Please, anybody has an opinion on this? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, it's the same kit as the previous thread. (It's not designed by Antique Sound Labs though.) Sorry I haven't posted an update on how the amp sounds after burn in... I'll do it later tonight -- I promise!

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Yes, it's the same kit as the previous thread. (It's not designed by Antique Sound Labs though.) Sorry I haven't posted an update on how the amp sounds after burn in... I'll do it later tonight -- I promise!

Hey Wodgy, I've just edited the headline on this thread. I was thinking about ASL when I was talking about Antique Electronic Supply. Indeed, it's the same amp. How do you like it and how simple do you think it is? I mean, I really have no experience worth mentioning with soldering besides changing the cable for my Grado's. Would you say it's something a total newbie can do? Thanks for the info and please keep it coming
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 8
I really like it. I've posted my impressions in this thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=17155

The kit is really simple to put together. There are almost no wires, except for the wires from the output transformers, and two grounding wires. Everything else just goes on the printed circuit board. The instructions are step-by-step. You can actually read them online if you go to the S5 electronics website, if you're interested in seeing how hard it is.

I personally think this is a good kit for a newbie. I haven't built anything electronic since I was a kid tinkering around with Radio Shack kits, and I didn't have any problems. It took about four hours to assemble. I did read a couple of "how to solder" tutorials on the web before starting -- those pretty much answered my questions. (Do a Google search for "how to solder" or "soldering tutorial".) I think the only things you could do wrong would be to put the wrong part in the wrong place (unlikely) or spend too long soldering a part and have it burn out (reading a how to solder tutorial should help here). It's really a fun little project. I say go for it!

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I really like it. I've posted my impressions in this thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=17155

The kit is really simple to put together. There are almost no wires, except for the wires from the output transformers, and two grounding wires. Everything else just goes on the printed circuit board. The instructions are step-by-step. You can actually read them online if you go to the S5 electronics website, if you're interested in seeing how hard it is.

I personally think this is a good kit for a newbie. I haven't built anything electronic since I was a kid tinkering around with Radio Shack kits, and I didn't have any problems. It took about four hours to assemble. I did read a couple of "how to solder" tutorials on the web before starting -- those pretty much answered my questions. (Do a Google search for "how to solder" or "soldering tutorial".) I think the only things you could do wrong would be to put the wrong part in the wrong place (unlikely) or spend too long soldering a part and have it burn out (reading a how to solder tutorial should help here). It's really a fun little project. I say go for it!

Thanks Wodgy. It's on my Xmas list. One more thing, and I think I risk sounding stupid, but I'll ask anyway
biggrin.gif
. I'll probably use the kit in the office, so I am a bit concerned about a valve blowing up into smoke and activating the smoke alarms. Am I worrying too much?
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Generally tubes just slowly die over months and months -- not a big deal. Occasionally they've been known to short out, but that would blow the fuse, not the tube itself. So don't worry about exploding tubes; it won't happen.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Generally tubes just slowly die over months and months -- not a big deal. Occasionally they've been known to short out, but that would blow the fuse, not the tube itself. So don't worry about exploding tubes; it won't happen.

Thank you Wodgy. I'll check with AES to see how much they charge for sending the kit to Mexico. And the Xmas list is getting bigger and bigger
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back