Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
Dec 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
The media server has separate libraries by genre... Jazz, Classical, Country Western, Rhythm and Blues, etc... plus one "best of" library that plays 24/7 and streams through the house by wifi. There is a bit of duplication in the libraries. It's hard to avoid it, but if I add up the times of all the libraries it comes out to over a year. I have more digital files in back up, but I ran out of steam working on the server, so it's staying there for now.The record wall is in disarray right now and may never get back to an organized state. It was all on order by genre and artist when I kept it in a storage warehouse. But when I moved into my new house, it was enough to just ask my friends to move all of it. If I had asked them to keep it in order they would have killed me. It's sorted by media at least... LPs, 12 inch 78s, and 10 inch 78s.I just got my screening/listening room finished and I open it up twice a month to the members of the non profit organization I work for. We watch movies and listen to music. I have a really nice toy wall too, but I have collector friends with toy collections that make mine look like nothing.I come from a family of collectors and my friends are all collectors, musicians and artists. My job is pretty predictable. I'm the director of a non profit archive. I know a couple of weird collectors, but I tend to not get along with them too well. I'm a practical soul and I like to see my collection be useful to others, not just me.

That's very cool, and generous of you as well.  It's nice to share our passion with others!  I'm pretty new to this hobby, but would one day love to have a listening room.  All my friends already think I'm a little cuckoo, but I just love it.  Cheers!

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 23
This is the screening/listening room...

and this is with the screen down...

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #18 of 23

Damn... This looks nicer than anything I've seen on MTV Cribs
o2smile.gif

Quote:
This is the screening/listening room...

and this is with the screen down...

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 23
It was a bit of a trick to get the sound system to fill all that space properly. The wood sucks up bass. But I got a great subwoofer and spent a couple of months fine tuning the EQ. Now the sound kicks ass with both music and movies, and the soundstage is organized for stereo, mono and 5:1. I've never had a sweeter setup. My next project is to setup my sound transfer setup so I can digitize. I hate playing a record without doing a digital rip at the same time. Digital files are so much better than records. (except when it comes to acoustic 78s. My Victrola sounds better than most electrical transfers.)

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 23
Here's a picture of the Monster Bar at the back of the room...

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 23
You have an incredible house, for sure! Love the lighting in the bar. Can only imagine the halloween parties! And, um...would love to see the toy wall, too, if you would feel so inclined! 
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #23 of 23
Here are two display shelves from the "bathroom of horrors"...

On the left, you can see the Feejee Mermaid and a Tibetan baboon skull incense burner. On the right is an O J Simpson autographed mini helmet, my shrunken head and a couple of Haitian voodoo dolls.

It looks better under black light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back