Cure my analysing paralysis!
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vargulf

Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm after a definitive explanation of what I need in a good home audio set-up!
Every bit of advice is different and for years I've been running in circles chasing my tail.

I have all my music in flac, with AT ESW9A headphones, FiiO E17 dac/amp and Wharfdale diamond 10.1's as speakers.

What do I need to actually listen in a designated room? Receiver and cables or amp or preamp or some other combo. So confused plz help!

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I forgot to say: for me simplicity is key and also a tight budget (as in I'd rather a receiver than 3 different components and a 1k budget).

*Also I'm hoping the FiiO works as a stereo dac?

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi all,
I'm after a definitive explanation of what I need in a good home audio set-up!
Every bit of advice is different and for years I've been running in circles chasing my tail.

I have all my music in flac, with AT ESW9A headphones, FiiO E17 dac/amp and Wharfdale diamond 10.1's as speakers.

What do I need to actually listen in a designated room? Receiver and cables or amp or preamp or some other combo. So confused plz help!

NAD D3020. Decent DAC, really good speaker amp, decent enough headphone amp. Bonus - it has a subwoofer output in case you want to reinforce the low end of the 10.1.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Hello,

FiiO E17 doesn't have a line out so it's less than ideal for your aplication.

Here's what you need:

- FiiO E17K (if you need portability) or FiiO E10K if you will use it exclusively with your computer/laptop.
- Speaker stands: bokshelf speakers won't sound their best without the stands. You can get some quality SANUS for 50usd or so.
- Quality Integrated Stereo Amplifier (Marantz PM5005/6005 or Yamaha A-S500/501/700)
- Some acoustic absorbers to tame the first and back reflexions and a small carpet for the floor.
- If budget allows so, go get some good AKG K712 or Sennheiser HD600/650 as well

Speaker_Room.png

Enjoy!

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys for the replys. Ok so a decent DAC, the best integrated stereo amp I can afford, speaker stands + cables and some stuff for the room. Much appreciated. I'll start my shopping list with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back