Cult of MDR-CD3000?
Sep 28, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #91 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
I have stumbled and fallen three times...but my fourth pair is now on the way....

Jeez, make up your mind already!
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #92 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Jeez, make up your mind already!
biggrin.gif

The sad part is that I made up my mind 3 pairs ago...but my wallet has had other ideas.
3000smile.gif

John

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #93 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Fewtch,

Seriously, the CD3000 has been getting overexposed and overhyped lately, and I tend to doubt that I'd like them, but these judgements are all so subjective that they' have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Not me... if they really are similar to the V6 sound in any way (like Tyson suggests), I figure I'd probably like them -- I rather liked the V6 when I heard them briefly at Seattle Minimeet 3.

Most of what I've seen so far has suggested that I would probably like the CD3k a lot (whether I'd be too embarrassed to list them in my profile and be counted as an owner is a different story
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
).

I've actually heard very little talk about how they sound from people who own them (just "how good, good, good they are" ravings -- almost no factual stuff about aspects of the sound) so I'm going on reports of what people have said from hearing them at meets, etc. All I can gather is that they're a forward, perhaps bright headphone with some sort of unusual soundstaging that sounds great to some people and artificial to others.

Most people also note how comfortable they are, but I've seen a few dissenters here and there (no surprise to me -- I don't find the HD-580s particularly comfortable, but most people do).

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #94 of 150
I remember Sony having a product line called "my first Sony".

Certain people posting here would definately belong in their target group.

Getting excited about stuff that makes you happy / feel good is normal, and i know from personal experience i do this a lot, since i want other people to know / experience what makes me happy so maybe they will enjoy as much as me.
I think it is very childish to try to kill off any enthousiastic post about very decent products like the cd3000.

Yes I have heard these cans myself, and normally would have owned them, but my "condition" prevents this, I.E. ever since '84 I have worn out dozens of sony headphones all the way through school / college / work, owning about 5 or 6 Sony walkmans, Sony receivers, CD players etc. etc. the only thing from Sony's line up I have never owned is one of their TV sets.

About a year ago I could not stand this anymore and from that day on I swore I would never buy Sony again, no matter how good something from them might be, call it stupid but I can't stand to see another Sony badge in my house, and i'm in the process of getting rid of all my existing Sony stuff.

So for me it is simple, I can understand why people get excited, and I enjoy reading about it.
Yes they are great, but I will not buy them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #95 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I'm criticizing the fanaticism (or if you want a nicer word, over-enthusiasm) of some of its devotees, the thread-crapping, collusion and constant hype and peer pressure to "try them, try them...", not the phones themselves.

The problem is not the headphones but rather the personalities of people. They evangelise because, well, just because they do.

The same charge can be levelled at HD600 owners who evangelise the HD600 with a mandatory cable upgrade and appropriate amp. The same happened with the W1000, the D66, the... I have been accused of evangelising the DT880, although I have gone out of my way to be as apologetic as possible, calling the HD600 and CD3000 great headphones. I see no reason to defame them. Each has their own failings, each has their own strengths. Each has a specific use.

There is no solution. Such discussion makes for lively debate. We just have to be careful not to take what is being said personally. They, headphones, are inanimate things. They have no life of their own, only what we imagine or give them through imagination.

In the case of the Headroom amps, I believe that they use Burr Brown OPA637 integrated circuits. Will someone start a war over how much better the AD8620 could sound? Or if discreet transistors biased in Class A sounds much better? Well, why not? Is a miniscule circuit something to argue about? What then about the wiring? what about the AC power?

We've all lost our minds.

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #96 of 150
Yes!!!!! MacDEF give them another chance, get a Perreaux, a cheap good amp for it, and try them again, and let us know later.

About the Headroom amps and the HD600, i have a concern, it's true that many members have talked about that in other threads and maybe it was a sad coincidence, and that doesn't mean that they did that on purpose, and I do not think that way neither, I do feel that they make pretty good amps, and if none of them match with the CD3000, is really sad, because they are even loosing many potential customers who could get their amps instead of looking to another places, but you have to agree with me that is a coincidence indeed, that all of the amps they make perfectly match with the HD600 (or the majority), and none of them, with the CD3000, OTOH also they carry the HD600, and they do not carry the CD3000, you have to agree with me that is a coincidence that could leave you thinking.....if you have not read those arguments made by Tyll before...

Now for other members that wants to know exactly how they sound, and do not want to listen or read those raves, you have to do the same I did, search, read, and ask, there is no other way, as an audition is very rare, unless in a meeting, and if is not hooked on the right amp, you get the wrong impression and opinion later, just search and read, this is the key, ask hirsch, mark, servinginecuador etc....members that have owned and extensivelly listen them with a lot of gear....

Sep 28, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #97 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
The sad part is that I made up my mind 3 pairs ago...but my wallet has had other ideas.
3000smile.gif

John

Still trying to find the "keeper," uh?
biggrin.gif

It's hard finding the pick of the litter.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #99 of 150
i've been trying for months to listen to the CD3k's.
so, if anyone lives in or near the bay area, and owns the CD3k's, would you allow me to come to your home, eat all your food, and audition your equipment...specifically the CD3k's?!!!
biggrin.gif

no really, i'll bring any of my phones at request. i want people to hear how awesome the W1000's can be. i would be willing to drive 2 hours if need be
3000smile.gif
:

thanx for your consideration.
either way, come Christmas time, i will buy a pair of CD3k's, but i would like to audition them first in case i don't like them.

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #100 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
thanx for your consideration.
either way, come Christmas time, i will buy a pair of CD3k's, but i would like to audition them first in case i don't like them.

Don't forget, you've got to have the 'proper' amp for these. If you do (and don't like them), something must be wrong with your source. If you've got a good source, it must be your interconnects. If you've got proper interconnects, maybe you have wax buildup in your ears. If you've cleaned your ears recently, maybe you need to adjust the headphones more carefully. If they're perched on your head at the approved angle, all the planets are aligned in "CD3k" configuration and the time-space continuum has been certified by a physicists as non-defective then, well... you get a look of consternation, and a grudging admission that maybe (hard to understand, really baffling, but m..a..y..b..e....) you just didn't like the heaphones (maybe you're insane? In need of counseling? Stone deaf? High on some weird drug? Yeah, it must be one of those)...
rolleyes.gif
k1000smile.gif

Better yet, maybe you'll love the CD3k and not have to go through all that...
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #101 of 150
Fewtch sees the error of his ways and repents...
very_evil_smiley.gif

3000cult.jpg

[size=xx-small]Now let's all crack a window and get a little air...
tongue.gif
[/size]

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #103 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Don't forget, you've got to have the 'proper' amp for these. If you do (and don't like them), something must be wrong with your source. If you've got a good source, it must be your interconnects. If you've got pricey interconnects, maybe you have wax in your ears. If you've cleaned your ears recently well... you get a look of consternation, and a grudging admission that maybe (hard to understand, really puzzling, but m..a..y..b..e....) you just didn't like the heaphones (maybe you're insane? Yeah, that's the ticket)...
rolleyes.gif
k1000smile.gif

Hey, maybe you finally get it.
biggrin.gif

Whether you understand it or not, every piece of a system makes a difference, from the headphones to the cables to the power cord. It's called synergy, and one piece of it out of place can change your system from something you love to something you don't prefer.

And this forum is a place where we all come to share our thoughts and opinions on what works for us, and what may work for others, based on our experiences.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't have a leg to stand on as far as criticizing anyone elses opinions (be it hype or whatever) if you haven't heard what they've heard in some way, shape, or form.

Like it or not, it's the truth.

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #104 of 150
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Fewtch sees the error of his ways and repents...
very_evil_smiley.gif

3000cult.jpg

[size=xx-small]Now let's all crack a window and get a little air...
tongue.gif
[/size]

biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #105 of 150
Quote:

Don't forget, you've got to have the 'proper' amp for these. If you do (and don't like them), something must be wrong with your source. If you've got a good source, it must be your interconnects. If you've got proper interconnects, maybe you have wax buildup in your ears. If you've cleaned your ears recently, maybe you need to adjust the headphones more carefully. If they're perched on your head at the approved angle, all the planets are aligned in "CD3k" configuration and the time-space continuum has been certified by a physicists as non-defective then, well... you get a look of consternation, and a grudging admission that maybe (hard to understand, really baffling, but m..a..y..b..e....) you just didn't like the heaphones (maybe you're insane? In need of counseling? Stone deaf? High on some weird drug? Yeah, it must be one of those)...

Better yet, maybe you'll love the CD3k and not have to go through all that...

fewtch,
you're absolutely right. oddly enough, when someone has said they don't like the CD3000's, Sovkiller has offered all those variables you've listed for reasons as to why one might have not heard the CD3000's correctly:rolleyeys: if anyone is accused of your cult observation, Sovkiller is it
biggrin.gif
i'm not insulting Sov, and if i felt the need to preech about my HD600, W1000, or Ety 4S in the same ways he talks about his beloved CD3000's, i could imagine myself doing the same thing. but i don't. people say that the HR amps don't work well with the CD3000, i personally don't believe it. i mean, my Cosmic is a warmer, darker, rich sounding amp that i think would perfectly blance out the CD3000's...my W1k's do so well with my Cosmic. actually someone has finally offered to let me audition the CD3000 at their home, shafu is the man, and i think i'll take him up on his offer. and i will bring my Cosmic (as well as my A75 Arcam integrated amp) and soon to come Rega Planet 2000 to see how the combo sounds together. i will surely report back about what i find
3000smile.gif
:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back