Cuban music reccomendations
Aug 9, 2001 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FunkeHomosapien

Head-Fier
I've been listening to Buena Vista Social Club alot recently. Great CD. Can anyone reccomend some similar cuban or south american music?

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 7
Ruben Gonzales the piano player from Bueno Vista has his own album you might want to check him out.

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 7
There are several latin bands I like
King Chango
Los Amigos Invisibles
Cafe Tacuba
David Byrne (some albums like Rei Momo are heavily influenced by latin)

On a more traditional note try Susana Baca, great voice.

Check labels like Luakka Bop. They specialize in new latin music.

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I was listening to NPR close to a year ago and they reviewed Chico O'farrill and his album Carambola. You can take a preview of it here at CDNOW. It's Afro-Cuban Jazz Big Band -- very live fun stuff.. his trumpet playing is super sharp, and again, it's just a lot of fun. Preview the tracks. I really enjoy it.

In fact, I think I'll pop it in now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 7
OK, if you like BVSC, definitly get this:

Orlando 'Cachaito' Lopez - Cachaito

This is an old fella, from BVSC i believe, master of the bass.

It's a great collection, forward thinking and enjoyable.

Here's what amazon say:

"In Cachaito the Cuban wave sweeps on, this time in the form of a debut CD by Orlando Cachaito Lopez, the bassist who formed the mainstay of Buena Vista Social Club. This latest record to emanate from Havana's legendary Egrem studios is a new departure for producer Nick Gold, whose aim now is to create a groove-based project adding in elements foreign to Cuban son. The result is not easy-listening in the style of Ruben Gonzalez's recent CD--though Lopez figured prominently on that as well. This is more for connoisseurs: rhythm stripped bare, and put through a blender. Here we get input from the South African flugelhorn player Hugh Masekela and the French DJ Dee Nasty, as well as marvellous, more familiar stuff from percussionists Miguel 'Anga' Diaz, Amadito Valdes, and Carlito Gonzalez. Cachaito's own groove is rock-steady, over which flutes and saxes weave airy spells, and to which a Hammond organ adds its suggestive timbre. But one glorious track takes us straight back to the fountainhead, as, over a muted horn, Ibrahim Ferrer contributes his sly vibrato--both spooky and wicked at the same time. The backdrop to many of these tracks is provided by strings, which give the musical landscape a bracingly metallic sheen"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back